All about Podded Peas
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(29-03-2023, 01:11 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(29-03-2023, 12:22 PM)JJB Wrote: With  snap peas do you still get pea moth grubs? If so, how do you know if you eat the  snaps whole?
You don’t know if you eat the grubs, you just get extra protein    Big Grin  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin .

In decades to come we'll all be eating insects and grubs  Big Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(29-03-2023, 12:22 PM)JJB Wrote: With  snap peas do you still get pea moth grubs? If so, how do you know if you eat the  snaps whole?
I sow peas early so they finish early, mostly before the pea moth arrives. Frees up the bed space by late June so can I get something else in there (last year it was savoy cabbage, the year before that carrots). By the time the peas are done I'm sick of them anyway, and it's not long before the French beans start cropping.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
I've just sown the last of my peas for pods today. I don't know if it's getting a bit late to avoid the moth, but we'll give it a shot. I can't remember getting loads of peas in the past. Maybe we've been eating them at the plot before getting them home.
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Proserpina, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(29-03-2023, 04:43 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
I sow peas early so they finish early, mostly before the pea moth arrives. Frees up the bed space by late June so can I get something else in there (last year it was savoy cabbage, the year before that carrots). By the time the peas are done I'm sick of them anyway, and it's not long before the French beans start cropping.

What do you call early?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Usually Mid February under a mini polytunnel. This year I sowed my first batch direct at the start of March then again in mid-March.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Veggie