Complete chilli novice
toomanytommytoes Offline
I've bought adult ladybirds and larvae before. The adults tend to fly away and disappear to who knows where. The larvae are much more effective but they are tiny when you buy them and it's a bit tricky coaxing them on to a leaf. My best tip for getting larvae in your greenhouse is to grow lots of flowers which attract the adults, they seem to pay a visit to my peppers and lay their eggs every year now.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

toomanytommytoes Offline
(24-05-2021, 09:08 AM)JJB Wrote: Not wanting to boast but.....  I'm going to anyway Big Grin
I have a 4" green cayenne, several  jalapeño fruits and a sweet pepper or two in the gh all looking a bit worse for wear because of the temperatures and the greenfly I'm battling though.
I'm not convinced I'll be bothering with chillies again next year though, except razzamatazz, hopefully my freezer will have enough in store to last me years
Though I've only grown it once, Razzamatazz seems to be a very reliable variety. Hot Juanita and Super Tramp are what we're growing on the windowsill this year, I'll be saving seed if you'd like to try them. Seaspring Seeds have a few new varieties they've bred called Dawn and Dusk, they look quite interesting (Dusk especially - https://seaspringseeds.co.uk/shop/vegeta...illi-seed/).
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Thanks for the offer TMTT, I'll reserve judgement on chilli seeds until later in the year. I may concentrate my efforts on tomatoes.
I intend saving razzamatazz seeds, if you need any. It seems to be a plant I haven't managed to kill.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(24-05-2021, 11:04 AM)JJB Wrote:
(24-05-2021, 10:11 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Get some ladybird larvae in your greenhouse. They’ll soon sort out your greenfly.

Do you buy them or hunt in the undergrowth for them?
I get them from Amazon but lots of places do them. They’re fantastic little things. I’ve only needed to use them once. They soon brought the nasties under control. They also matured to adulthood and produced more babies while continuing the war on greenfly / aphids .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB