Sourdough bread soy sauce
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
A recipe for using leftover sourdough bread from Riverford organic veg growers :-

We're big fans in the field kitchen of reducing the amount of food waste that comes off the back of the dishes we prepare. And to help you do this at home, we thought we would share a few of our favourite tips as part of Zero Waste Week.

And to give you a bit of a flavour of things to come, we wanted to share a great method for using up any leftover pieces of sourdough bread to create an environmentally friendly alternative to soya sauce.

If you soak leftover or stale sourdough in water overnight, the natural yeasts are released to create a fermented liquor. In the morning, remove the bread and reduce this liquor down to a more concentrated amount. You can then use this in the same way as soya sauce.

In the field kitchen we use it as a glaze on roasted vegetables. One great example is to pour it over roasted broccoli, before rolling in toasted sesame seeds to create a fantastic umami pre-dinner snack.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Have you tried it? No sourdough here, I'd have to buy it specially, so perhaps counterintuitive.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Farendwoman, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Not yet - don't have a spare end at the moment -and I'll probably forget about this when I do.
I posted the recipe here to remind me!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Bren Offline
I never have sourdough leftovers it all gets eaten.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Veggie