Reisetomate - Traveller tomato
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
https://www.organiccatalogue.com/seeds/v...e_mh-63961

I picked up some of these seeds today. Has anyone grown them? I'm not a lover of knobbly tomatoes but these are a bit different, so it says! You can break the nobbles off and eat them whilst leaving the rest of the fruit intact.
Is it worth giving up a space in the GH to grow it or is it just a gimmick, since I'm never likely to go on a long journey with a knobbly tomato in my pocket!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, SarrissUK, Small chilli

SarrissUK Offline
I've never tried them, nor grown them, but I'm keen to hear what others have heard/learnt about them!
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I think someone that we have known in the past have... I definitely received seed in a swap, probably similar to german lunchbox - hardskins?
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I remember reading about it elsewhere, Scarlet. Can't remember having seeds before but did have German Lunchbox seeds - never managed to germinate those.
You're probably right about tough skins - they'd need to be a bit tough to be able to break bits off them without squishing them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I remember a tomato like that with a different name. Think maybe real seeds? You could just pull them apart and use like cherry tomatoes. I always wanted to try growing & eating them. Still not got round to it yet.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
It is real seed .just been to look . And exactly the same name! I was sure it was different.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(25-02-2023, 10:37 PM)Veggie Wrote: https://www.organiccatalogue.com/seeds/v...e_mh-63961

I picked up some of these seeds today. Has anyone grown them? I'm not a lover of knobbly tomatoes but these are a bit different, so it says! You can break the nobbles off and eat them whilst leaving the rest of the fruit intact.
Is it worth giving up a space in the GH to grow it or is it just a gimmick, since I'm never likely to go on a long journey with a knobbly tomato in my pocket!
.............and the bit that is left sealed off with pocket fluff?............no thanks! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
This is one description, apart from the thick skins, it sounds right up your street Veggie  Smile :

The astonishing appearance of this fruit can be best described as a cluster of knobbly cherry tomatoes fused together. The thick-skinned, very tasty fruits with a good old-fashioned tomato flavour will certainly make quite a talking point! But to really amuse, or even shock your guests, serve up plates of salad with thinly sliced sections of selected fruits. With care you can produce unusual, and strikingly lifelike shapes of e.g. animals...and other, ahem, risky subjects! (Cordon)
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Im sure I grew it... bug cant find any photos
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(26-02-2023, 09:37 AM)Small chilli Wrote: It is real seed .just been to look .  And exactly the same name! I was sure it was different.
'Reisetomate' Pocketbook Vine Tomato
Well, how on earth to describe this? We think you'll just have to look at the photo.

This is a rather unusual tomato from central Europe that grows what can only be described as a cluster of cherry tomatoes all fused together.
They can be twisted off from the fruit bit by bit and eaten, or you can just use it to scare your children . . . . As well as looking very, very strange, they taste very nice, sweet and juicy with a thin skin. (Real Seeds description)

They say it has a thin skin - there's only one way to find out! The Seeds I have are in the link in first post.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli