Autumn Sown Hardy annuals
Farendwoman Offline
(15-02-2023, 04:17 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(15-02-2023, 11:42 AM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: I lost loads of stuff in the greenhouse in December so I am being more cautious this year. The cornflowers are one of the only things that survived, even lots of the sweet peas conked out.
I lost all my cornflower and sweetpeas... my anemones outside froze and then all rotted Sad
I don’t grow anemones, Scarlet.
is it too late to start again with those?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farendwoman's post:
  • Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(15-02-2023, 11:42 AM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: I lost loads of stuff in the greenhouse in December so I am being more cautious this year. The cornflowers are one of the only things that survived, even lots of the sweet peas conked out.
I lost all my cornflower and sweetpeas... my anemones outside froze and then all rotted Sad
In terms of flowers I lost gypsophila, echiums, annual salvia, perennial alyssum, musk mallow, echinacea, coreopsis, linaria and penstemons. Also 48 plugs of komatsuna/mizuna/mibuna, intended to replace the autumn stuff killed by cabbage root fly, all killed as well. Overwintering cauliflowers in modules got absolutely battered but about 50% of them have recovered well enough to plant out in a few weeks. Not much you can do when the compost in modules is frozen solid for days on end. The cornflowers barely flinched though, tough things.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Farendwoman, Garrett, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I think the warm Autumn brought on lots of top growth - then when the long freeze came - if the frozen soil didnt get them the wet soggy foliage rotted anything it lay on. I tried to rake some of it away... not much survived.

My Late summer sown Ammi and Daucus Sad
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • JJB

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(15-02-2023, 04:26 PM)Farendwoman Wrote:
I don’t grow anemones, Scarlet.
is it too late to start again with those?
I was tempted to buy more in late Dec - but I thought they may recover? Unfortunately i dug a couple of the corms out this week and the top of the corms are rotted away.
I could maybe start some more - but its still so cold, I actually placed an order today...and they were sold out Sad

Farendwoman Offline
I’m so sorry that we’ve all had such losses this year.
Good to be able to share it on the forum though.
[-] The following 4 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
The penstemons I bought cheap in the autumn, that I was doubtful would survive the winter weather are a little straggly but have survived, I'm pleased to say. I also transplanted some self sown antirrhinum into modules into gh, and although all the outside self sown ones have all copped it, the gh ones are fine and dandy.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Farendwoman, Garrett, Veggie