2023 Spuds
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I can't get my head round blue potatoes.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

Bren Offline
(12-03-2023, 10:21 AM)JJB Wrote: I can't get my head round blue potatoes.

I grew them just the once they tasted to earthy for me, they  were better as roasties or chips though, so they didn't get wasted.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(12-03-2023, 10:21 AM)JJB Wrote: I can't get my head round blue potatoes.
I love blue spuds    Cool . I don’t notice any real difference in flavour. I do draw the line at blue mash. But again it tastes fine. It’s the eating with your eyes thing. Like Bren I love them roasted & chips but that’s my favourite what ever colour spud I’m eating. Blue potato salad is awesome   Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
this should really be under 2022 Spuds, as I have harvested some rogues from last years Solist’s that were small missed ones.

Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Bren, MartinH, Veggie

MartinH Offline
I had a furtle in my first potato tub yesterday and there's some nice ones in there. I'll harvest at the weekend.
[-] The following 2 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have some rogues in a couple of pots. Maybe I'll treat myself to a furtle at the weekend. Something to look forward to. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, MartinH

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

These are the potato beds I carved out of weeds this week. The first one has some Gemson spuds and the second has 5 red skinned potatoes. All spuds were freebies so nothing to lose by trying to grow them.

First bed - raspberries on the left, then Elephant Garlic. The spindly trees are supposed to be plums but they've gone feral. If they do nothing this year, they'll be removed. behind them are a couple of small pear trees and the big bush is forsythia. the white flowers are Aquilegia that I didn't have the heart to pull up.

Second bed - the remains of a holly and hazel that needs to be cut down on the left. Rhubarb behind the log. Blackcurrant bushes on the right with hidden rhubarb in between them. Couch grass and weeds in the foreground!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, MartinH, Small chilli

MartinH Offline
(17-05-2023, 10:04 PM)MartinH Wrote: I had a furtle in my first potato tub yesterday and there's some nice ones in there. I'll harvest at the weekend.

I couldn't wait.

These are Kestrel. When I put them in I thought they were first earlies, but actually Kestrel is a second early. There's plenty enough here for our tea tonight. I've re-planted the haulms, given them a good soak and put the tub in a shady spot to see if they perk up. You never know, I might get a few more tubers in a month or so.
[-] The following 3 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
We had some of ours tonight, steamed with lots of salty butter. Yummmmmmmm
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Bren, MartinH, Veggie