2023 Tomato Grow List
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Interesting article about potato v ordinary leaf tomatoes. It seems that what really matters is whether the stigma sticks out of the flower or not. If its sticky-outy "exserted" its likely to cross with other toms. That's something new I've learnt today. Big Grin
https://blog.seedsavers.org/blog/explori...-structure

In a nutshell https://theseeddetective.co.uk/saving-tomato-seed/
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Garrett, JJB

SarrissUK Offline
I will look in my seed boxes at the weekend if I have any Red Pear seeds, because I think out of all tomatoes, they taste the absolute best to me. They were very productive for me too. It's been a few years since I last grew them, so it's high time I do so again Smile

I like black tomatoes, lovely, deep flavour to them. Not too sweet and not too acidic either.

I'm aiming to at least make my list at the weekend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, toomanytommytoes

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(23-01-2023, 07:35 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Mat-Su Express is an indeterminate (vine) tomato which resulted from a cross between Brandywine and Bloody Butcher. It was bred by a tomato farmer who has polytunnels in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley (Mat-Su for short) in Alaska. It's inherited the earliness from Bloody Butcher and has been our first tomato to ripen two years in a row. In 2021 one plant produced 6.2kg, in 2022 5.3kg. The fruit can vary in size but in general it's a medium red beefsteak. The flavour is really good.

If you have space I would highly recommend Girl Girl's Weird Thing too, and Reinhard's Purple Sugar if you like Black Cherry/Rosella.

I noted your advice TMTT and have sown Mat Su Express and GGWT, not yet sown the cherries. Thanks for your really good advice.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Farendwoman, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I really don't know what to go for - the seed swap has resulted in me having far too many to choose from! Whatever I do choose will have to be happy growing outside though, as I'll not be able to stay on top of watering in the greenhouse this year. These are the ones I have and haven't already tried:

Alicante
Auntie Madge's
Blush
Chadwick Cherry
Cherry Tomato Mix (Lidl)
Cilegia
EM Champion
Galina
Genuwine
Girl Girl's Weird Thing
Golden Grape
Honeydrop
Mat-Su Express
Malachite Box
Maskotka
Mountain Princess
Old German
Orange banana
Orange jazz
Oregon Spring
Primabella
Primavera
Rambling Red Stripe
Reinhard's Purple Sugar
Resi
Roma
Spanish Big Globe
Sgt Pepper's
Steak Sandwich

Any suggestions for which of these would be best outside (south facing garden) and have a good strong tomato flavour? I don't see the point of growing anything that only tastes as good as supermarket varieties, as I can already pick those up with minimal effort!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
Pros, tmtt just recommended Primavera and Primabella to me for outdoors growing. I'll be trying them this year. Found some info on Victoriana: https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Toma...rimabella/ and https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Toma...Primavera/
[-] The following 4 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
My Galina were wonderful last year. Lovely flavour - didn’t split and a really good crop.
Grown outside - I don’t grow any in a greenhouse.
[-] The following 4 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Great, that's three varieties! Knew I could count on you all Big Grin
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Proserpina's post:
  • toomanytommytoes

Garrett Offline
I couldn't wait any longer, I sowed my indeterminate tomatoes for this year:

Green Zebra (green/yellow stripe medium, two of these as they were my favourite last year)
Golden Sunrise (early yellow cherry)
Auntie Madge's (small red plum)
Gardener's Delight (old strain from pre AGM removal)
Girl Girl's Weird Thing (multi large)
Ananas Noir (multi large)
Reinhard's Purple Sugar (purple/red cherry)
Piglet Willie's French Black (dark red medium)
Black and Brown Boar (red/brown striped medium)
Jaune Flamme (orange medium)
Red Zebra (red/yellow striped medium)
[-] The following 5 users Like Garrett's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Proserpina, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(12-03-2023, 12:58 PM)Proserpina Wrote: I really don't know what to go for - the seed swap has resulted in me having far too many to choose from! Whatever I do choose will have to be happy growing outside though, as I'll not be able to stay on top of watering in the greenhouse this year. These are the ones I have and haven't already tried:

Any suggestions for which of these would be best outside (south facing garden) and have a good strong tomato flavour? I don't see the point of growing anything that only tastes as good as supermarket varieties, as I can already pick those up with minimal effort!
Any of the cherries would do well outdoors and will give a good crop before blight comes (if it's a bad year for blight). EM Champion is very early for a large fruited variety and did well for me outdoors a few years ago. Many of the other large varieties would probably start ripening too late unless we have a spectacular summer, but Mat-Su Express has been the earliest ripening tomato for me two years in a row. I really like Reinhard's Purple Sugar and Maskotka for cherries. A lot of people like Blush but I found it a bit too bland.
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Proserpina, Scarlet, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
In the seed swap there were some Honeydrop tomato seeds. The web is confused as to whether they're small pear shaped, cherry, red or yellow. Can anyone say what they are?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club