Seed buying
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(10-01-2023, 06:16 PM)Small chilli Wrote: After giving it some thought. The way I choose seeds to buy is really quiet convoluted !
I start with the pictures. Being dyslexic I’m not going to waste huge amount of time reading every description. So if the image doesn’t grab my attention. It doesn’t stand a chance.
Then I put everything into a virtual shopping basket & add them up ( usually breaking out into a cold sweat at this point!). Then I started the whittling down process ( actually reading the description, have I grown it before, do I want to try this variety, does it actually have a chance of growing here,  do I really really want/need it). Then I go research it in other places. Then I go see if I can find it cheaper or at a more reputable/ responsible company. Then I buy my seeds or more likely throw the seed catalog away having wasted several very pleasant hours.

SC, no one would have a clue you're dyslexic - you manage extremely well, credit to you.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Admin, Farendwoman, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have a book - its something I doodle
In and write a list of varieties I've seen that i would like/ take notes etc - Ive moved away from having a laptop/sitting with a computer. So when the dahlia company opened its books for orders late Sept- I compared what they had available to my list and whittled it down to fit my budget Big Grin ( it did go out the window a bit!)

When buying flower seeds theres not that many companies that do the cut flower varieties that I like...I only use chilterns and moles. The others dont do much variety?

Im not growing much veg these days, a couple of tomatoes - will always stick to black icicle and a cherry. I didnt do beans last year because I didnt have the space. Lettuce is usually self saved. I will use the swaps for my beans - missed them - so will do a teepee this year.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Garrett Offline
I keep a wish list in a notebook of any varieties I want to get. Sometimes it's a vague "dwarf sunflower", other times it's a specific variety that had something which appeals to me.

With flowers, I'm always looking for something natural looking as I generally don't like double flowers or super dwarf plants or extra large flower heads. I prefer the plants to have a pleasing overall proportion. I also love varieties that are scented.

With vegetables I look for vigour and productivity of course, but also visual appeal. I really like having different colours of tomato, squash and french bean. I want to have something that isn't typically sold in the supermarket.
[-] The following 3 users Like Garrett's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
I look at the pictures, but they don't tend to sway me, until more recently when I started considering flowers. I'm a sucker for a pretty flower.

For everything else, i.e. for veggies, I'm also a sucker for anything new and fandangled and will almost always try new things out. That's how I am with most things in life though, so that's not a major surprise.

I often go back to the same varieties, but I'd say half the time I try new varieties alongside the tried and tested.

I like a lot of seeds in my packets, I like a bargain, and germination rates and speed of delivery. I very rarely buy from the big seed companies.
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Garrett, Small chilli, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
I ALWAYS wait for free delivery.
Can’t stand paying for delivery when often I only want one packet that (on a whim!) I’ve suddenly decided that I really want.
[-] The following 5 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(11-01-2023, 09:54 AM)Farendwoman Wrote: I ALWAYS wait for free delivery.
Can’t stand paying for delivery when often I only want one packet that (on a whim!) I’ve suddenly decided that I really want.
I buy mine so I go over the £30 so I get free delivery....Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've been known to do the same as Scarlet with Chiltern Seeds. There's a logic that goes...........if I buy another Bargain basement collection, its about the same price as the P&P so, effectively, the seeds are free. Big Grin Works for me anyway. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Garrett, Small chilli