Tunnel cloches
Jimny14 Offline
I've decided to try and warm my wet cold clay soil up with some tunnel cloches this year to extend my growing season. I've got some pipe etc on order but not sure what to use as cover, e.g clear plastic, fleece, thermacrop etc. And whether or not some covers may be of more benefit at either end of the season etc or could have multiple uses to avoid extra costs. Any thoughts appreciated. I may also be trying to use some to get an earlier (and maybe later) crop of potatoes outside as I don't have a greenhouse.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimny14's post:
  • Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Fleece will tear easily in the wind and shed plastic fibres everywhere. Thermacrop is good for taking the chill off in early spring but it's not going to provide much protection against a hard frost, and thought stronger than fleece is still quite fragile. Polytunnel plastic would be my choice as it will provide the best heat retention and protection from cold winds, but on a sunny day will overheat if not vented.

I usually start my early potatoes in pots in the greenhouse, but now we're growing in the borders all year round there is no space to put the pots. Last year I kept them outside covered with a quadruple layer of enviromesh and it worked fine, though we didn't have any frosts anyway.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Jimny14, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
I’m with TMTT. Polytunnel plastic. Will do the job you want it to and be reusable for years.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Jimny14, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've been banging on about making a tunnels for some time - I just need a hand!

This link is worth a read, they have a cool little system where the plastic is held down with string and you can roll the plastic it up from the bottom to get some air in on sunny days

https://baremtnfarm.com/how-to-construct...ow-tunnel/
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Also, definitely use real polytunnel plastic as it will contain additives which protect it from degradation by the sun. Clear plastic with no additives will go brittle and fall to pieces very quickly.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I have plastic designed for tunnels and have used the same sheets for four years now - tatty and dirty, but still in one piece. I use rebar as supports because we had a load left after building.
Clay soil here too which can get too dry inside the tunnel so I have to remember to water. I use it to extend the season for beetroot, lettuces, parsley, and will direct sow radish later this month and lettuces in Feb or March.
To be honest, the spring side is much less successful than extending the autumn.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Veggie