2023 - Good Morning,. Afternoon, Night
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
If the lead pipei is nipped together on the end it can be soldered along the flattened end.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Solder was mentioned. Problem is - the pipe has been cut off flush with the floor so there's nothing to pinch together without chipping out the floor around it.
I know its a pain but, in a way, its a relief to know where the problem is. It could have been anywhere in the pipework or the toilet/washbasin which would have been a much bigger job.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Jay, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Sounds like a nightmare, Veggie, can you offer free lead to anyone who'll excavate it? Smile P's idea not mine, don't blame me. Unfortunately, if its not resolved, its a sword of Damocles every time it rains.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Is P volunteering? Big Grin
I've lived here for 40 years and its never happened before! The copper pipework was done before we moved here so its not an area we've tampered with. Having said that, the room is always damp but I've put that down to being below the damp course. Its under the stairs and 3 steps down from the hall.
My neighbours have the same damp problems - 4 houses built at the same time (1936) and roughly the same layout. One house had their little room "tanked" whatever that entails. Don't know whether it helped as they moved soon after.Big Grin

Jay Offline
Morning all, that sound like a real pain Veggie, hope you get it sorted.
Thanks Vinny for the good wishes. x
West of Scotland
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks Jay. The bandage plug is still dry so fingers crossed. Still raining though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Jay

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(14-01-2023, 08:31 PM)Veggie Wrote: Is P volunteering? Big Grin
I've lived here for 40 years and its never happened before! The copper pipework was done before we moved here so its not an area we've tampered with. Having said that, the room is always damp but I've put that down to being below the damp course. Its under the stairs and 3 steps down from the hall.
My neighbours have the same damp problems - 4 houses built at the same time (1936) and roughly the same layout. One house had their little room "tanked" whatever that entails. Don't know whether it helped as they moved soon after.Big Grin

P say he'd love to at least dig down outside to find the ingress of the pipe, he's even got a mate with a mini digger, but alas (or maybe thankfully) distance precludes it. Big Grin
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Jay, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Wonder how long it would take a mini-digger to drive along the M4??
A update - the pipe is deeper than a long screwdriver!. Its now been filled with old bolts and sealant. The dehumidifier is stil trying to extract all the water - mainly in the big cupboard under the stairs where there's some sodden carpet under some racking. I may have to bite the buillet and empty the racking to lift the carpet. Meanwhile, the loo carpet is on the roof of GH1 - it was over the side gate dripping yesterday. Not sure whether I'll reuse it yet.
Another thought - maybe its an old gas pipe, not water pipe?
  • Jay

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(15-01-2023, 02:05 PM)Veggie Wrote: Wonder how long it would take a mini-digger to drive along the M4??

Too long, so you're safe.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Jay, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just seen this on the Freebie group -

If anyone buys tangerines/clementines with leaves - can you please keep the leaves for me (pop them in fridge/freezer to keep fresh).
It’s Chinese/Lunar New Year next weekend and it’s my family tradition for all members of the family to bathe in tangerine leaves on New Years Eve for good luck.

What a lovely idea! Anyone know any more about this tradition?
  • JJB