2023 - Good Morning,. Afternoon, Night
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its been one of those days! This morning, I was just thinking about getting out of bed when I heard the door bell ring. Looked out of the window and there was a police car outside and two police officers in the drive. They saw me peeping out so I hastily put my dressing gown on and went to see what the problem was - you always think its going to be bad news. Fortunately, they were at the wrong house and they wanted to see my neighbour.
Ten minutes ago, the doorbell rang! twice in one day is unheard of!!
This time it  was a man asking whether I'd lost 2 dogs! He'd been driving down the road and spotted 2 dogs roaming around so he'd caught them and they were in his van. I know a number of local people with dogs but not with 2 dogs. He'd tried ringing the contact number on their collars but there was no reply. There was a postcode on their collar too, which is from this area. I went to see the dogs, beautiful, tan coloured dogs, bit like whippets but more heavily built. I think they are from a local farm/riding school so he was going to take them there. This farm is off the road, down a long track and their dogs seem to leave the farm and stray into the woods on the other side of the road quite often. I may have mentioned the Newfoundland dog that turned up on my doorstep a while back, she belonged to that farm.
Hopefully, there'll be no more callers today.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Small chilli

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I was going to sow my onions today but, as it was dry all day and rain is forecast for tomorrow, I'll sow them tomorrow. I spent today digging out couch grass instead. I'll have missed a lot but hopefully growing potatoes there in 2024 should help to clean it properly. It was an asparagus patch but a couple of years ago, I was unable to do anything for a couple of months in the summer and couch grass spread in from all sides, sometimes travelling up to 4' underground and then damsons appeared through it and hawthorn and bramble so will take a bit of clearing. Hopefully I'll be able to rescue some crowns when I get to them.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(08-12-2023, 10:03 PM)Veggie Wrote: Its been one of those days! This morning, I was just thinking about getting out of bed when I heard the door bell ring. Looked out of the window and there was a police car outside and two police officers in the drive. They saw me peeping out so I hastily put my dressing gown on and went to see what the problem was - you always think its going to be bad news. Fortunately, they were at the wrong house and they wanted to see my neighbour.

Did you ever find out what they wanted to see your neighbour about? And you get police about often?

While out for a walk today down the lane, we were passed by 2 police cars, a very rare occurrence. There were several 4x4s as well which was unusual unless there was a boxing day meet somewhere local.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yes, I knew my neighbour was expecting them sometime - he was the victim of an assault. Our houses are often confused as I'm at 152 and he's 152A (newer house squeezed in between 152 and 154). Don't often see them around here, fortunately.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga