2023 - What's made you Happy today?
Vinny Online
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(30-12-2023, 08:42 PM)Veggie Wrote: I've just read that, in 39 days time,  it won't get dark until 7pm. Big Grin I haven't checked this, prefer to believe that it is true.
I'm sure I can feel the days lengthening even now? Huh

Believe it or not,happiness for me today was standing fishing at the waters edge in a blizzard,soaked to the skin and freezing Because of the fog unable to see my youngest son fishing with me, even though he was only a few yards away. We could converse with each other but he was just a blur. Walking through swamps and three foot high heather tested my fortitude but even though neither of us caught a fish,or even had a bite or seen a fish on the surface all day, we spent over 4 hours at the waters edge! That's two years in a row we have battled the weather between Christmas & New year and plan to make it an annual thing each year! Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(30-12-2023, 09:03 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(30-12-2023, 08:42 PM)Veggie Wrote: I've just read that, in 39 days time,  it won't get dark until 7pm. Big Grin I haven't checked this, prefer to believe that it is true.

Believe it or not,happiness for me today was standing fishing at the waters edge in a blizzard,soaked to the skin and freezing Because of the fog unable to see my youngest son fishing with me, even though he was only a few yards away. We could converse with each other but he was just a blur. Walking through swamps and three foot high heather tested my fortitude but even though neither of us caught a fish,or even had a bite or seen a fish on the surface all day, we spent over 4 hours at the waters edge! That's two years in a row we have battled the weather between Christmas & New year and plan to make it an annual thing each year! Cool

I hope you weren't in your shorts Vinny!
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker

I think you're a tad optimistic V. Sorry to burst your happy bubble but supposedly in Salisbury,  sunset at the end of February is 17.47, we have a way to go for sunset at 19.00, in fact not until the clocks change according to the Web.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Online
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(31-12-2023, 11:03 AM)JJB Wrote:

Yeah, shorts,Long Johns, trousers and chest waders! Tongue Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(31-12-2023, 11:13 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(31-12-2023, 11:03 AM)JJB Wrote:

Yeah, shorts,Long Johns, trousers and chest waders! Tongue Big Grin

The fashionable layered look then  Tongue
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(31-12-2023, 11:07 AM)JJB Wrote:

I think you're a tad optimistic V. Sorry to burst your happy bubble but supposedly in Salisbury,  sunset at the end of February is 17.47, we have a way to go for sunset at 19.00, in fact not until the clocks change according to the Web.
I didn't say "sunset" because its stays light after the sun disappears. Its Astronomical Twilight https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/as...light.html

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/salis...&year=2024
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(31-12-2023, 12:26 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(31-12-2023, 11:07 AM)JJB Wrote:

I didn't say "sunset" because its stays light after the sun disappears. Its Astronomical Twilight https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/as...light.html

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/salis...&year=2024
I'll have another look. There's hope on the horizon
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
You're right astronomical twilight at 19.00 in Salisbury on Feb 7th. As you said, something to make us happy. Nautical twilight on 1st March and Civil twilight on 24th March all at 19.00. Fascinating facts. That's where I looked at first without understanding the different twilights. You learn something new every day (then promptly forget it)
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I didn't know there were differences either!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
Not too long to go now! The days gradually longer and by the end of February we get about 11 hours of sunlight per day!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny