2023 - What I did today
Farendwoman Offline
I keep saying “never again” - but then I weaken - and then I kick myself for being a mug!
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
Just spotted another offer from them ……. And I can’t believe that I am tempted!
I’ll post it on bargain basement.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farendwoman's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(29-03-2023, 09:41 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: I keep saying “never again” - but then I weaken  - and then I kick myself for being a mug!
 You're  T&Mug. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its been a sooper dooper day - no rain until 5pm when I was more than ready to stop gardening.
I was determined to plant the onion sets today - and I did! Cleared enough space in the old raspberry bed (where the 3 collapsed GH frames were) to plant the onions. Put the former GH door, with polycarb panels, over the sets to stop the bird from pulling them up.
I also flipped over an Onduline roof panel that I've been using to kill the weeds beneath. The weeds had gone but it was a maze of tunnels underneath, complete with panic stricken ?vole who was running around the roofless tunnels trying to work out which way to escape. Fortunately for the vole, the dogs were not with me - or it would have been lunch.
Pruned some raspberries and chopped out more brambles by the back fence.
Feel satisfied with the day's work. Need more days like today.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Mark_Riga

SarrissUK Offline
Since being over in Sweden recently to help clear the farm house, now that mum is in permanent care, I've been thinking about that house. It's around 180 square meters, needs lots of work and updating, but it's lovely. My brother wants rid (although it's in mum's name) and I have a feeling he wants his hands on that money. Some of the land has been sold off to my nephew who lives five minutes walk down the road, in return for him buying my mum a car a couple of years ago. Turns out, by my calculations that he got that land for a third of the price. If I can get the same price, we could buy that house and the farm for just over 100k. The only thing to tempt me to stay here is my new big garden and greenhouse. Decisions, decisions.
[-] The following 5 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(30-03-2023, 09:45 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: Since being over in Sweden recently to help clear the farm house, now that mum is in permanent care, I've been thinking about that house. It's around 180 square meters, needs lots of work and updating, but it's lovely. My brother wants rid (although it's in mum's name) and I have a feeling he wants his hands on that money. Some of the land has been sold off to my nephew who lives five minutes walk down the road, in return for him buying my mum a car a couple of years ago. Turns out, by my calculations that he got that land for a third of the price. If I can get the same price, we could buy that house and the farm for just over 100k. The only thing to tempt me to stay here is my new big garden and greenhouse. Decisions, decisions.

I don't envy you that decision, Sarriss. How do the family view it?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
(30-03-2023, 09:45 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: Since being over in Sweden recently to help clear the farm house, now that mum is in permanent care, I've been thinking about that house. It's around 180 square meters, needs lots of work and updating, but it's lovely. My brother wants rid (although it's in mum's name) and I have a feeling he wants his hands on that money. Some of the land has been sold off to my nephew who lives five minutes walk down the road, in return for him buying my mum a car a couple of years ago. Turns out, by my calculations that he got that land for a third of the price. If I can get the same price, we could buy that house and the farm for just over 100k. The only thing to tempt me to stay here is my new big garden and greenhouse. Decisions, decisions.

It sounds lovely. Whereabouts in Sweden is it? Would your partner move to Sweden too?

Are there rules in Sweden about selling property on the behalf of someone in care? In the UK, if your Mum still owned the house but couldn't make decisions on her own behalf, it couldn't be sold unless it could be demonstrated that it would be in her best interests to do so (e.g. to fund her ongoing care because she would definitely never be able to return home). It could also not be sold for less than market value (e.g. to family to help them get on the housing ladder).

Sorry to be nosey, I just always find the process of people considering big changes fascinating! I am definitely not someone who makes big changes in my life like that, so I'm impressed by people who embrace new opportunities that they are presented with.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
(30-03-2023, 12:16 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(29-03-2023, 09:41 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: I keep saying “never again” - but then I weaken  - and then I kick myself for being a mug!
 You're  T&Mug. Big Grin
Took your advice, Veggie, and complained.a very nice customer services lady(Katerina) is sending me 10 Narcissus Yellow Erlicheer in August.
she offered a refund, but I would prefer the bulbs. Fingers crossed that they will be the real deal this time.
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
^^^ Result. Big Grin Ask me again in August, when the bulbs arrive (or not)
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB

SarrissUK Offline
(31-03-2023, 11:57 AM)Proserpina Wrote: It sounds lovely. Whereabouts in Sweden is it? Would your partner move to Sweden too?

Are there rules in Sweden about selling property on the behalf of someone in care? In the UK, if your Mum still owned the house but couldn't make decisions on her own behalf, it couldn't be sold unless it could be demonstrated that it would be in her best interests to do so (e.g. to fund her ongoing care because she would definitely never be able to return home). It could also not be sold for less than market value (e.g. to family to help them get on the housing ladder).

Sorry to be nosey, I just always find the process of people considering big changes fascinating! I am definitely not someone who makes big changes in my life like that, so I'm impressed by people who embrace new opportunities that they are presented with.

It's in the southern parts of Sweden, near Ljungby. It's very rural, but close enough to all the amenities. Jay is the one pushing to move. I'm more reluctant - I really do love it here and I am so settled. But being close to family is tempting, and the chance to have a smallholding is not something I could achieve here in the UK due to the house and land prices.

There are rules about selling on behalf of someone in care. My mum has just finished her memory test to see what kind of dementia she has, if any. She does get confused, some good days, some bad, but all her physical tests are coming back absolutely spot on. Her cognitive tests are great too. But something does confuse her and the doctor thinks my brother makes her more confused for some reason.

She is in permanent care, but is still deemed ok to make decisions like selling the house. We could do a straight sale, which would be less than market value, but in line with taxation values, which would be legally ok. She doesn't need the money from the farm to fund her care - the carehome comes with a charge, but her pension covers that easily. The system works a bit better that way in Sweden than here.

For me it wouldn't be a huge change - I would still work for my local NHS trust, just do it from there. It's a huge change for Jay though - he would have to leave the job he's done for over 30 years, learn a new language and get a job, at least part time. But he is so up for it.

No decisions will be made for a few months yet. My mum doesn't need the money from the farm and because she sold some of the land to my nephew, no formal sale can go through until at least January 2024. We're going back in June and I imagine we will do a lot of talking about it then Smile
[-] The following 6 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Farendwoman, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie