2023 - What I did today
JJB Online
Moonraker
Sowed seeds, potted on toms and flowers. Made another batch of DIY compost. I really like mixing up a batch, it's like making up huge Xmas pudding.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Farendwoman, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Nothing garden related , but I finally got round to changing the front wheel on the Fergie for a newly aquired wheel and tyre. One of the front crossmember bolts was missing so I bought a new one. The problem was I couldn't get it to line up as the holes were slightly out of line.I had the bright idea of grinding a small chamfer on the end of the bolt then 'persuaded' it in with a big hammer. As Veggie would say" I love it when a plan comes together" Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(16-03-2023, 03:52 PM)Proserpina Wrote: Other than buying seeds (oops), I am not going to get much gardening done today (upcoming night shifts, what a joy...) However, I have lifted my first germinated seeds out of the propagator Smile Celosia from the seed swap. Who did they come from? Clearly excellent seed!
Me Smile its these if you are interested ( see link) . Inused them for cut flowers. They were really pretty in a vase. I think you can dry them but they were a good filler for me so I used every stem that grew. https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_300...form_seeds
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Proserpina, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller

Its been gorgeous all day up until now when the heavens opened.
I made a couple of Spring wreaths to go on the wall..Quite minimal as I havent got much stuff! Worth a shot....already had a couple of people ask if I will do a spring wreath workshop - though struggling on what foliage I could use for half a dozen people.
[-] The following 7 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, Farendwoman, Jay, JJB, Mark_Riga, Proserpina, Veggie

Garrett Offline
Pruned the hydrangea and hardy fuchsia.
Potted up the Bossa Nova and Sunray begonias I saved from last year.
Potted up the David Howard and Bishop of Llandaff dahlias. I was able to prise apart one of the fatter tubers to make two plants. Wink
Sowed some flower seeds indoors.
[-] The following 5 users Like Garrett's post:
  • Farendwoman, Proserpina, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
Good friend gave me 12 pricked out Bishops Children dahlia
Plus a lemon coronilla to replace the one that keeled over in the December freeze up.
What a lovely friend!
I spent time pricking out sorry little sad perennial gypsophila and annual helichrysum.
Both have been indoors straining for the light for far too long and have got little chance of survival.
Start later with my sowing next year!,
Also potted on a few agapanthus that I thought had died -but they have surprised me.
Geared up now for another decent day tomorrow to get things done- fingers crossed .
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Planted out a few odds and ends - crocus & kale.
Moved a wormery, a big bin of chipped wood and 2 bags of horse manure to their new home in Compost Corner.
Found a dead rat and threw it into the undergrowth at the end of the garden. That's the second one this week. Don't know whether the dogs are catching them? Its a mystery!
Filled some modules and brought them into the house - need to sow some tomatoes.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Proserpina

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I'm working nights - would much rather be at home! More things are popping up in the propagator and it would be nice to be there to whip them out as soon as they germinate rather than letting them get all leggy. Never mind. I'm coming up on a week of annual leave so hopefully I can do some catch-up gardening then.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
The sun was out yesterday so I started playing the greenhouse shuffle. The now planted in modules, chitted broad beans that are sprouting can stay outside rather than in the cold frame. They should really be in the ground but i haven't yet prepared it. The onions into cold frame. Strawberries in pots come into the gh to perform. One of my begonia corms overwintered in the garage is beginning to shoot, so they came into gh with bottom warmth just to keep away the frost. Only one has popped, the rest are really solid but no life yet, I hope they're alive. As I expected the sacrificial second tomato seedlings were no more sacrificial than I am, they've been put alongside the begonias whilst their brothers stay indoors under lights. I had sown some of SC's schizanthus seed far too early so pricked that out. Sowed seed swap flowers gazania, shasta, rudbeckia, nasturtium, celosia and tagetes.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Farendwoman, Proserpina, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
“What I did today” always inspires me.
Makes me want to sow more and more flower seeds, even though there are loads of seedlings
desperate to be pricked out.
[-] The following 4 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Small chilli, Veggie