2023 - What I did today
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(12-03-2023, 08:23 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: Coo - everyone has been so busy and achieved so much today!
Well done.
All i’ve done is indoors stuff- breadsticks, cinnamon buns, soup.
Wish I had been outdoors - apparently it’s going to be wet all day tomorrow so I could have been outside today and “kitcheny” tomorrow!

Indoors stuff is good especially if it's baking. Looked at the cinnamon buns recipe, so tasty but oh so fattening.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Farendwoman, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Had a long walk with Kato through the woods today, in the sunshine even though rain was forecast. The weather people seem to be getting it wrong a lot for my area. With all te dire warnings of snow we had a small amount which went away quickly. Rolleyes
It ws nice to spot some young rabbits, deer prancing and frogspawn in abundance. The buds are breaking on the trees pheasants are flapping about and spring is in the air! Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Checked to see that the pond supports were still standing in the gusts - and they were! It was too windy to be down there amongst the trees as some of the ash trees look as if they have ash dieback. I only have one big ash tree now but neighbours on both sides have some.
Didn't sow the turnips and radish as the seeds would have blown away! Maybe tomorrow?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
I put my seed potatoes to chit. The ones going in potato bag.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Cut the last length of hedge and heavily pruned the olive tree which was blocking MrPP's study window and shredded everything. The birds are now free to nest in peace!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Veggie

Garrett Online
Planted out the crimson flowered broad beans.
Replaced the dead winter violas in a hanging basket with more violas. Hope these are happier.
[-] The following 2 users Like Garrett's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Sowed tomatoes
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Absolutely freezing today. I had a wander around the garden but only lasted about 20 minutes. Checked on the worms and gave them some new kitchen scraps, then walked around the garden to see what had survived the snow. Rhubarb, corn salad, mustard, garlic, onions (from sets), saffron crocuses, two types of kale, walking onions and clumps of welsh onions (from Veggie in a previous swap) are all going strong. Something else is sprouting where I had sown Nigella seeds last year, but I suspect they may actually be volunteer California poppies. Quite a few peas (sown recently for shoots) seem to be sitting above ground so not sure if they've been pushed up by the frozen ground or dug up by the pigeons (though if the latter, I would think they would have eaten them). The ground is completely solid, so I don't think I'm likely to be sowing anything new out there for at least a week.

I harvested some kale and, bizarrely, a single volunteer radish (not a winter radish either - my winter radishes have done nothing but make a few leaves!)
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 4 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Garrett, Jay, JJB, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Do you know what? I've just Googled to see what Nigella seedlings should look like, and I'm pretty sure that's what I've got Smile Pretty good, as I didn't have any luck with them sprouting last year but some of the seed must have decided to germinate this year instead!
[-] The following 4 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Garrett, Jay, JJB, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Other than buying seeds (oops), I am not going to get much gardening done today (upcoming night shifts, what a joy...) However, I have lifted my first germinated seeds out of the propagator Smile Celosia from the seed swap. Who did they come from? Clearly excellent seed!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie