2023 - What I sowed today
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sown some more Bombay bronze cockscomb. They seem very delicate! Trying things a little different with these.
Direct sown some sweet peas.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Sowed the leek seeds I should have sown yesterday - Lyon, Musselburgh and Solist- in a mushroom box with a clear plastic lid.
Also put numerous old Broad beans into damp kitchen roll in various containers to see if they germinate. I've not have much luck with BBs this year - they're going mouldy in the modules - so I'm trying another approach.
All the above are now in my bedroom. Its very exciting checking all the seed trays each morning. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Small chilli

Farendwoman Offline
(08-03-2023, 07:53 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Sown some more Bombay bronze cockscomb. They seem very delicate! Trying things a little different with these.
Never grown cockscomb - they look lovely.hace you grown them before?
and are they difficult?
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(08-03-2023, 09:08 PM)Farendwoman Wrote:
(08-03-2023, 07:53 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Sown some more Bombay bronze cockscomb. They seem very delicate! Trying things a little different with these.
and are they difficult?
Never grown them before. From the first lot of germination and only having one left. They seem to be on the tricky side. i’ll be growing them in the tunnel. Got them from chiltern seeds https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_300...bay_bronze

they must be delicate. They’re the only seeds I’ve ever brought that are into a bubble wrap bag inside the packet.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
Yes, thanks. I spotted them on Chiltern Seeds.
Good luck with them - I’ll be interested to see how the next lot do.
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Garrett Offline
10 x module of Nicotiana Sylvestris.

The Rudbeckia sown last Saturday have germinated so thought I'd pop something else in the heated propagator now there's space.
[-] The following 4 users Like Garrett's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(08-03-2023, 09:49 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
and are they difficult?
Never grown them before. From the first lot of germination and only having one left. They seem to be on the tricky side. i’ll be growing them in the tunnel. Got them from chiltern seeds https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_300...bay_bronze

they must be delicate. They’re the only seeds I’ve ever brought that are into a bubble wrap bag inside the packet.
They are very cold sensitive- and only give one cut per plant. Ive read florets cut flower book ( US) she sows 6 weeks before last frost/ half hardy annual.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(09-03-2023, 11:16 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(08-03-2023, 09:49 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
and are they difficult?

They are very cold sensitive- and only give one cut per plant. Ive read florets cut flower book ( US) she sows 6 weeks before last frost/ half hardy annual.
Yeah that’s why I’m growing them in the tunnel. Chiltern website says cut off the first flower spike as it appears. To get it to bush out and produce more. If I do get any flowers, I intend to charge more for the bunches with them in  Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I sowed some cherry and salad toms, also potted on some large ones.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 5 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Farendwoman, Garrett, Small chilli, Veggie

MartinH Online
I sowed some lettuce "Crisp Mint" this morning. I've not tried this variety before, will be interesting to see how it goes.
[-] The following 6 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Broadway, Farendwoman, Garrett, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie