When and what chillies are you sowing?
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I haven't grown many the last couple of years.... kids not about so much and the the OH cant tolerate them anymore.

So I want to grow some for Christmas Decorations/wreaths etc next year.

So Im looking for a fast growing/prolific cropper that drys well Smile .... would cayenne be your choice?

What are you sowing and when?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Not growing chillies, I still have more than enough in the freezer.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
This is my kind of question  Cool .
I’ll be sowing mine New Year’s Day. I’ll be growing jalapeños, pink habanero, chocolate habanero, beaver dam, Hungarian black & Thai dragon.

You want numex twilight, spike, pumpkin. All prolific. small to tiny. But you could use whole branches. I’d also be tempted to go with a scotch bonnet or habanero for a more round shape and whippets tails for a long trailing look.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I may try Midas this year (feeling brave).Wink https://www.chilliguru.uk/annuum/midas.html
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(27-12-2022, 02:26 PM)Small chilli Wrote: This is my kind of question  Cool .
I’ll be sowing mine New Year’s Day. I’ll be growing jalapeños, pink habanero, chocolate habanero, beaver dam, Hungarian black & Thai dragon.

You want numex twilight, spike, pumpkin. All prolific. small to tiny. But you could use whole branches. I’d also be tempted to go with a scotch bonnet or habanero for a more round shape and whippets tails for a long trailing look.
I grew one chilli variety .,, it was about 6ft tall and smoothered in small pods - though I can't remember what it was. 
My thoughts are if they are tiny, I need more to make an impact, lots more wiring:time?
Definitely love the whippets tails... love the size of those.

I have seen some large round dumpy shaped ones... though i don't want to be growing huge numbers of plants!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli

toomanytommytoes Offline
Shishito peppers are very prolific and the plants stay quite compact. They are thin walled so I think they would dry well.

I only grow jalapenos and some sort of cayenne variety now. We still have chillies from 2020 in the freezer, unless you use them very frequently you don't really need many plants. Next year's jalapeno will probably just be Early Jalapeno or maybe one of the 'Spice' varieties (Pumpkin/Lemon/Orange). Hot Juanita is a compact cayenne type which we have grown on a windowsill for the last few years. We always get a lot of flower drop indoors though, probably due to lack of humidity and poor air flow, so I will try to fit them somewhere in the greenhouse next year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
The only seeds I have are Anaheim (think thats how its spelled?) Mild enough for me! Smile Just been given a load of bottles of strong chilli sauses for Christmes. They are in the shape of sticks of dynamite so have me slightly worried! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • JJB

Garrett Offline
I'm growing Cayenne pepper again as that did well for me and I'm also trying a new one, the Piment d'Espelette (also known as the Basque pepper). Both are usually dried.

Checking my notes, I started the Cayenne in mid January and that worked out well, even without grow lights and having to live on a south facing windowsill.
[-] The following 2 users Like Garrett's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
my unknown chillies, waiting for a few weeks before moving them to bigger pots

Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie