Wood chip
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
So I’ve got a little bit of wood chip. I believe it’s mostly larch. I’ll be using most on paths . My question is can I mix it into  beds and add it to compost? I wasn’t sure if the larch had a lot of tannings in it that wouldn’t be good for beds. If it is ok I might be able to get more    Big Grin .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
As a mulch it should be fine, and in a compost pile it will be fine as well but take quite a while to decompose. Wood chips shouldn't be mixed directly in to the soil as they will tie up nitrogen as they break down.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(15-12-2022, 07:44 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: As a mulch it should be fine, and in a compost pile it will be fine as well but take quite a while to decompose. Wood chips shouldn't be mixed directly in to the soil as they will tie up nitrogen as they break down.
Thank you.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • JJB

SarrissUK Offline
I agree with that, TMTT. Great in compost heaps though, but amazing on paths Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Small chilli

Vinny Online
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
When I kept chickens the only wood chip I wouldn't use in their run was if it had Yew in it? Rightly or wrongly, I have always believed yew chippings/shavings were poisonous to animals? Huh
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Small chilli