Energy Shift
JJB Offline
Moonraker
P tells me we're with Scottish Power not Southern & Scottish, that just shows what I know, which is practically nothing. Interested in Veggie's experiments though.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Jay, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The payments aren't a great incentive though - its about £1.40 a time. Probably not enough to persuade people who are more organised than me to change their habits.
Tomorrow's challenge , from 5pm - 6 pm will be easier as its half an hour earlier, when I'm not really thinking about eating.
"Your typical use
1.08kwh
Reduce by
0.43kwh - 40%"

Just worked it out that the payment of £1.40 is about the cost of 5kwh.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Jay, JJB

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I need a utilities bill as proof I live where I do, to road register the Fergie. It was surprised when I went on the British Gas site to dowload a bill that I was in credit and that two payments had been added. Then I checked my bank account to find that £500 had been added by the government. Cool

If people keep chucking money at me, who am I to complain! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Jay, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
We've done it twice and will do it again this evening if my husband finishes work by 5. It's been a bit of entertainment for us and no trouble, flipping switches off at the wall for appliances that aren't being used. We actually saved (earned?) more than £2 the first time, I think.

We have two kids and a tumble dryer, so a couple of changes can give a good saving for an hour.
[-] The following 3 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Broadway, Jay, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Who's your provider, DJ?
I'm curious to know if I've reached my targets..........or not. Big Grin
  • Broadway, Jay

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I'm doing this with Octopus. However, as I've yet to put my heating on this year and am not home much anyway, it's hard to make much of a reduction. I've only made pennies so far.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've had my results though I don't know whether its for one day or two - hoping it for one.

"You reduced your energy usage by 73% which means you'll get £2.53 credited to your account".
  • Bren, PyreneesPlot

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
That's an interesting scheme, although (excuse the negativity) it probably won't encourage the biggest wasters of energy - a friend who always runs the washing machine daily even if there's only a couple of things in it because she likes to empty the laundry basket every day for e.g. - because she can afford it. A few pounds here or there won't make a difference.

We're looking at rolling black outs here, although we'll get a couple of days notice. We feel a bit agreived down here, as our energy is all hydro, but country wide we have apparently one power station just putting power into the grid to go to Ukraine!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Some people will never change their habits, PP.
This scheme is not aimed at saving energy but shifting demand away from peak times to reduce the load on the National Grid. I read last week (before I knew I was a participant) that the National Grid were anticipating pressures because the forecast was for insufficient wind for the wind vanes and with importing from the France.
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot

doublyjonah Offline
We are with eon. Last night we only made a 4% reduction despite similar measures! Not sure what it is compared against exactly.
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • JJB, Veggie