How many of each?
toomanytommytoes Offline
Most of my variety is in tomatoes and peppers because that's what I find most interesting to grow, so it's been lots of experimentation for a few seasons. Most years for tomatoes it's 8 varieties in the greenhouse and maybe 8 or so more outdoors. Peppers this year was 20 varieties. The numbers of both will gradually reduce as I find 'keepers', leaving a bit of room for curiosity.

For everything else I usually just want dependable varieties which perform well, give good yields and taste good, so typically I will only grow 1-3 and stick with the ones which suit my requirements.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Garrett Offline
I usually grow several different tomatoes, around a dozen. I grow a couple of Tumbling Toms in a large pot because they are early and I can be harvesting by June. The vines are a mixture of different colours, sizes and flavours, depending on what I'm using them for. For example, Green Zebra is my favourite tomato for a salad sliced with mozzarella. I also enjoy the novelty of trying a few new varieties each year alongside the old reliable ones.

I grow at least a dozen different french beans. Dwarf ones for an earlier harvest, green, yellow and purple ones. I also grow green, yellow and purple climbing varieties for the main summer crop, then sow more dwarf beans for a later crop. I love my fresh beans!

Several shelling beans are grown too, but that's a recent development for me. This year I grew six different shelling beans and I really enjoyed doing that even though I didn't have great success with the gigantes and borlotti beans. The others did really well and I like having the variety of bean markings, sizes and shapes. They look beautiful stored in their jars on the shelf.

I grew several different winter squash too, from a sprawling butternut to some bushy acorn squash and also mini climbing pumpkins I trained up a bamboo teepee. Again, I love the variety of shapes and sizes.

Everything else I'm pretty much happy with just the one variety. For example, my favourite lettuce is Little Gem so I tend to just grow that one.
[-] The following 4 users Like Garrett's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Bren Offline
(25-11-2022, 10:49 AM)Bren Wrote: Here's mine.

Toms - 4 - an early pot variety, San Manzano for sauce, Gardeners Delight and Black cherry because they're my fave.
Cuc- 1 Beth alpha
Beans- 1- Blauhilde tall french  beans
Peas - 1-Telephone
Courgettes - 3- round, bush and Black beauty.
Parsnips - 1 -
Chard - 2- but not any red ones.

My choices are mostly due to space and preference.
How could I have forgotten lettuce

Lettuce-7 varieties then land cress I like a bit of lettuce on my sandwich. 

Kale- just Tuscan kale I’ve tried curly but didn’t like it.
[-] The following 5 users Like Bren's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny