Aphids
MartinH Offline
I've not had much trouble with aphids this year, I've spotted them early and squished before they got out of hand.

Fungus gnats have been a nightmare though, they are too fast to be able to squish. I'm thinking of using grit to cover seeds with next year in the hope it will keep the little beggars off, anyone tried anything similar?
[-] The following 4 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(17-11-2022, 09:59 PM)MartinH Wrote: I've not had much trouble with aphids this year, I've spotted them early and squished before they got out of hand.

Fungus gnats have been a nightmare though, they are too fast to be able to squish. I'm thinking of using grit to cover seeds with next year in the hope it will keep the little beggars off, anyone tried anything similar?
Yeah I’ve used grit on seed trays and pots. It definitely helped.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, MartinH, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(17-11-2022, 09:59 PM)MartinH Wrote: I've not had much trouble with aphids this year, I've spotted them early and squished before they got out of hand.

Yes, grit - anything to cover the soil really. I had vermiculite out of my aga. I made sure no compost bags were left open. Everything was watered fro
m the bottom. Doors open lots.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, MartinH, Small chilli

toomanytommytoes Offline
In the US they have things called 'mosquito dunks' which a lot gardeners use to kill fungus gnat larvae. They contain the BTi bacteria which is also used to kill caterpillars on brassicas. I don't think they're available over here though.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli

Farendwoman Offline
My small greenhouse is like a bloody snow globe with whitefly.
Have to hold my breath to dash in for a quick watering now and again.
I need a good strong frost to hopefully get rid of the blighters.
[-] The following 5 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli