Eat seasonal
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The cost of energy v UK grown cucumbers. 
Another reason to eat seasonal and grow your own?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-essex-63242091
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Mark_Riga

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Things are dire. I wonder if P would object to me growing cucumbers in the bath? Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(22-10-2022, 10:16 AM)JJB Wrote: Things are dire. I wonder if P would object to me growing cucumbers in the bath? Smile
Normally Loofah's for the bath! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I agree with veggie, eat seasonal and it won't cost you nowt to grow cucumbers Cool .Ridge cucumbers grow well outdoors anyway. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Changed thread title to confuse you. Wink

New question - what fruit & veg will you stop eating over winter/out of season in the UK.

I refuse to buy strawberries, courgettes, beans, cucumber. I wont be eating any of these until my own crop next spring. Once my tomatoes run out, I won't buy any of those either.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman

Farendwoman Offline
(22-10-2022, 10:16 AM)JJB Wrote: Things are dire. I wonder if P would object to me growing cucumbers in the bath? Smile
You might as well grow cucumbers in the bath JJB. None of us are going to be able to afford to heat the water for a bath apparently!
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
Def won’t be buying/eating strawberries, blueberries, courgettes, mange tout, French beans, baby sweet corn, raspberries.
Will probably still buy a cuc now and again and a lettuce. Hoping my ripening tomatoes will keep me going for a good while, then it’ll be on to the semi dried ones.
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
I find it's not worth eating a lot of things out of season. Supermarket strawberries are mostly tasteless, courgettes too big and watery, sweetcorn not sweet but tough, French beans floppy, cucumbers insipid, tomatoes bland until the sun comes back in late February. Peppers are very hit and miss, often too watery with no sweetness, if you can find the dark red ones they are often much better.

Jazz apples are some of the best tasting out of season, but quality is not at all consistent.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(22-10-2022, 07:37 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: I find it's not worth eating a lot of things out of season. Supermarket strawberries are mostly tasteless, courgettes too big and watery,  sweetcorn not sweet but tough, French beans floppy, cucumbers insipid, tomatoes bland until the sun comes back in late February. Peppers are very hit and miss, often too watery with no sweetness, if you can find the dark red ones they are often much better.

Jazz apples are some of the best tasting out of season, but quality is not at all consistent.

Agree with all of that, but do buy baby plum toms, cuc and peppers, and then moan about the taste  Smile
Jazz are my fav too.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Farendwoman, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Bren Offline
I don't buy toms, cucumbers, apples and soft fruits after being spoilt by home grown.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Veggie