2023 - Pumpkin competition
JJB Online
Moonraker
Mine will have to take its chances wherever there's room outside. I'm beginning to regret being cashiered into this Smile I don't even want a giant pumpkin really. I'm probably safe, it'll be miniscule. My single ichi kuri this year was perfectly formed and ripened but only 3" diameter. Hence the resolve to steer clear of storing pumkins/squashes next year except for trombas. But who can resist free seeds Big Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(17-11-2022, 10:49 AM)Small chilli Wrote: How and where is everyone going to grow their giant pumpkin?

I’m thinking once germinated and big enough. Plant in the polytunnel bed. Digging a big hole filling it with manure,  homemade compost and seaweed.
I'm a "Bung it in and hope for the best " pumpkineer. Had no success with any squashes this year so my method is clearly not foolproof.  Blush
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
In the pumpkin patch?
Bit of homemade compost, maybe some BF&B if I have any left by the time of planting.
Weekly comfrey feed, if I remember.
Hopefully there'll be enough natural rain because it'll be sacrificed if we can only use the watering can from the tap.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
We had zero luck with pumpkins this year despite growing perfect jack o lantern size ones the last couple of years. It'll have to be outside on the plot. We had good luck with composting in situ and planting into the rubbish ? so we'll do similar next year. We have water butts and shed set up now, so it'll get the royal treatment when it comes to watering. And then I'll just have to hope that the small helpers don't trample the vine or pick the pumpkins off when tiny.

Oh, I've also seen some advice about burying growing nodes to improve root system before allowing fruit to set. Depends if they get going early enough to consider doing that or if I'll just be crossing my fingers for anything to actually ripen again.
[-] The following 3 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
It'll be outside for my pumpkins, as the greenhouses, no matter how many I have will be dedicated to plants that really do like the heat.

So pumpkins don't stand a chance and will have to rough it outside Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Smile 
I've just clicked on the link. "They mature around 135 days" and "produce very large fruits over 135kg."

They would take some feeding as they must put on over 1kg a day. And there could be a problem weighing them?

Also "store for a long time (if you have the space!)" but however long they store for, once cut into, they would need using. Will be interested to know what people who grow them do with them when they are ripe.

I'll stick with Muscade de Provence this year (as last year and the year before - I like them [Image: smile.png] Big Grin ).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
If you change your mind, Mark, I'd be delighted to send you some seeds. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Mark_Riga

Broadway Offline
Hi Veggie

Could I join in please?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-01-2023, 06:57 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: I've just clicked on the link. "They mature around 135 days" and "produce very large fruits over 135kg."

They would take some feeding as they must put on over 1kg a day. And there could be a problem weighing them?

Also "store for a long time (if you have the space!)" but however long they store for, once cut into, they would need using. Will be interested to know what people who grow them do with them when they are ripe.

I'll stick with Muscade de Provence this year (as last year and the year before - I like them [Image: smile.png] Big Grin ).
If by some miracle I do manage to grow a monster. I’ll be donating it to which ever zoo wants it for their elephants.
I still have connections    Cool . If they don’t want it then I’ll try to find some other organisation that feeds lots of people for free. Worst case scenario is I make as much as a can with it and offer the rest on the local buy & sell group for free in what ever size chunks people want.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(03-01-2023, 09:00 AM)Broadway Wrote: Hi Veggie

Could I join in please?
Of course you can, Danny.  Cool I'll put some in the post later this week. 

Anyone else want to join?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Broadway