Drying foliage/flowers for arrangements
Jimny14 Offline

Here are a couple of wreaths we made during lockdown to give me and the little one something to do. Don't know if these may be helpful for ideas.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-09-2022, 08:12 PM)Veggie Wrote: It was only an idea for plants to use. Big Grin Eucalytpus would be nice.
Can you make wreaths out of wire coat hangers - or woven stems - hazel/hops that sort of thing.

Any crabapples for colour? Hawthorn, rowan berries.
Woven stems are expensive to buy. I looked before
I dont grow hops
Eucalyptus is nicebut my tree isnt big enough and ive already used most if it forcut flowers
I had a fire accident and burnt my crab applw tree
Hawthorn is covered in-berries now / i need them in 8 weeks time, same as the rose hips.... I will continue to research on trying to dry/preserve them

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-09-2022, 09:31 PM)Jimny14 Wrote: Here are a couple of wreaths we made during lockdown to give me and the little one something to do. Don't know if these may be helpful for ideas.
Ooh, I love the twig one! What stems did you use?

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-09-2022, 08:12 PM)Veggie Wrote: Any crabapples for colour? Hawthorn, rowan berries.
Hmm, back to the original question.... yes I have lots - preserving them until December is the question Big Grin

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Isn't there something about spraying them with hair lacquer - not that I have any lacquer to try it out!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
Glycerine is what you need, Scarlet. My mum used to preserve berries this way for winter arrangements. There's a recipe and instructions here, about half way down the page -

https://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/artic...lowers.htm

Mum used to get the glycerine from the chemist.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 3 users Like Moth's post:
  • Proserpina, Scarlet, Veggie

Jimny14 Offline
(28-09-2022, 11:14 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(28-09-2022, 09:31 PM)Jimny14 Wrote: Here are a couple of wreaths we made during lockdown to give me and the little one something to do. Don't know if these may be helpful for ideas.

From memory it's mainly silver birch twigs as the thin ones are very flexible. Think I made the rframe work from ash and horse chestnut twigs. There's also teasel, cotoneaster and bodnant viburnum in there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimny14's post:
  • Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(29-09-2022, 01:18 PM)Moth Wrote: Glycerine is what you need, Scarlet. My mum used to preserve berries this way for winter arrangements. There's a recipe and instructions here, about half way down the page -

https://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/artic...lowers.htm

Mum used to get the glycerine from the chemist.
Thank you- I will have a good read later.

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(29-09-2022, 01:19 PM)Jimny14 Wrote:
(28-09-2022, 11:14 PM)Scarlet Wrote:

From memory it's mainly silver birch twigs as the thin ones are very flexible. Think I made the rframe work from ash and horse chestnut twigs. There's also teasel, cotoneaster and bodnant viburnum in there.
Thank you - I'll check to have a look what I can find. I used to use my grape vine stems- but it died to lack of waterSad

Farendwoman Offline
Hops are nice .really easy to wind around whatever you’ve made the wreath out of. They make a good first base to poke the other stuff in.
I’ve made my wreaths out of red and yellow cornus (dogwood).
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie