Tagetes overwintering
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I overwinter a few tender plants in the living room ( the only room with the kitchen that is heated) in a shallow plastic trough in front of our south facing patio doors.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Bren, Farendwoman, Small chilli, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
(20-09-2022, 07:57 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'm feeling left out! Better find some tagetes seeds - I'm sure I have about a thousand of them somewhere.
If not ..... let me know!
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Do people normally group all the marigolds under the name tagetes?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Farendwoman Offline
As far as I know - tagetes are the tender French and African types.(half hardy annuals).
Referred to as tagetes to differentiate them from the tough as old boots calendula, known as pot marigolds or English marigolds which are hardy annuals.
[-] The following 4 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I've been sifting through a bucketload of Tagetes seeds - there are so many different types! Thought it was just French marigolds (short) and African marigolds (tall) but, its not that simple. There seem to be :-
Tagetes tenuifolia aka Signet marigold - like Lemon Gem
Tagetes Patula - like Naughty Marietta. I'd call this lot French marigolds
Tagetes Erecta - African marigolds
Tagetes Lucida - Sweet mace
and, the one that sounds the smallest:-
Tagetes minuta - which grows to 1.5m aka Stinking Roger.
Chiltern seeds say, about T. Minuta :-
We are very pleased to have been able to obtain a supply of these seeds again for it is one of those useful plants we are frequently asked if we can supply. It is not as an ornamental that it is sought, but for its reputation as a destroyer of weeds by means of its strong herbicidal root secretions which repel nematodes and suppress weeds. Among the more popular weeds said to yield to these are Ground Elder, Couch Grass, Convolvulus and other nasties. In general appearance, well grown, it looks like a rather large African Marigold with particularly finely cut leaves (so at the very least you finish up with a rather fine foliage plant) but with small flowers more like an impoverished, pale yellow Groundsel. Plant out in spring 12ins apart. 8ft (2.4m)

This genus includes some of the commonest and most popular annuals grown. In spite of their common names, they all originate from Mexico. All are easy to grow and are useful for cutting.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, Garrett, JJB, Small chilli

Farendwoman Offline
Thanks for all this info, Veggie.
I found the African ones lasted for ages once cut. (Not good for a flower seller who has a stall once a week!)
“No thank you, I won’t buy any this week. The ones I had from you last week are still lovely”.
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks veggie. That’s very interesting. Why are botanical names/ families so confusing!
I definitely want to grow some if they help keep weed under control .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Veggie

Bren Offline
One year I grew a rogue Marigold plant in my GH, it grew to 5ft tall  Confused  all the others in the border from the same packet of seeds were normal.
[-] The following 5 users Like Bren's post:
  • Farendwoman, Garrett, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Roitelet Offline
IVe just potted up some that germinated in the tunnel. They will stay there over winter with the Cosmos and I will throw some fleece over them if it gets really cold. We shall see!!!
[-] The following 4 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • JJB, SarrissUK, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
A bit more info about Tagetes Lucida/ Sweet mace/ Winter tarragon.
According to Jekka, this one dies back in winter but regrows in spring - a perennial if conditions are right. It can be propagated by cuttings or division.
Use the leaves in winter as a substitute for tarragon https://www.jekkas.com/collections/jekka...r-tarragon.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, JJB, SarrissUK, Small chilli