Seed Trays
MartinH Offline
I get on OK with the flimsy ones, I keep using them year on year until they fall apart. My favourites are the 6 x 4 cells (24), but because I don't often want to sow 24 of the same thing, I carefully cut them apart with a rugged pair of scissors, usually into three 2 x 4 cells.
[-] The following 6 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Broadway, Farendwoman, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
I used my CD trays again and again this summer, and found them to work best when I kept them in plastic boxes to keep the moisture in. I loved using them.

My biggest winner this year though, at least for time saving was my second hand potato seed trays. They were fantastic for larger plants/seeds like courgettes, squashes, cucumber, sweetcorn etc. They use a lot of compost when sown, but you can then leave them to it for weeks and weeks before you plant them out, which is such a time saver. I hate potting on. They're absolutely my winner this year Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Broadway, Farendwoman, Scarlet

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm thinking of spending some money Rolleyes 
I have a mishmash of modules - different shapes, sizes and quality.  The cheap ones just about last a year - two at most. I'm tempted to buy some replacements that have a longer life and I wonder whether any of you lovely people could help me decide. 
Charles Dowding and Huw Richards promote their own named modules which come in their own, slightly different sized, versions. Containerwise and Oakland gardens sell these as well as their own brand modules. Containerwise seem to be cheaper per tray but Oakland modules get cheaper as you buy more of them.
I'm also finding it difficult to find the P&P costs for both but I think Oakland delivery if Free.
Too many options and I'm totally confused!  Huh
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I can’t really help. I’ve got the quite flimsy ones but I’m quite gentle with them. I’ve had them 10 years. I brought 50 of each, 40 cells & 24 cells. I’ve got about 20 of each still completely unused because I’ve managed to keep reusing year after year.
I know scarlet brought herself some well made/ heavy duty trays. Can’t remember what they were. I’m sure she’ll be along soon to advise you.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have a selection of modules in various shapes and sizes - most of them acquired with plants in or cheap in an end of season sale. The last ones I bought, very flimsy, melted in the sun in the GH!
I'd really like a standard size of modules that fit inside each other for storage and also fit the trays and the propagator. If I had this, I would dispose of all the old, cracked and warped ones that I struggle with because I can't bring myself to throw them away until they're broken.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Found Scarlet's thread about her modules https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.p...ht=modules
I'd forgotten it!! I'll merge mine with Scarlet's. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

toomanytommytoes Offline
Here's a good video about the different sizes of Containerwise modules - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-xB00CGveQ

It looks like Containerwise might offer free shipping if the order is over a certain value, the only other option is next day at £8.99.

My most used ones are standard 24 cell trays, where each individual cell is 50x50x52mm. The closest Containerwise to that is the 28 cell low tray at which is 50x50mm but quite a bit deeper at 65mm. The 40 cell low tray is 42x42x55. Dowding's are much smaller at 30x30x44 and Huw's in between at 40x40x60. I wouldn't want anything small than standard cell size because they dry out too quickly and the plants are so close to each other the leaves can get tangled.

Like SP I find the standard flimsy ones fairly easy to re-use if you're gentle enough, I've been using the same ones for maybe 5 years now. Any that start falling apart I put in to seed trays to give them support. I only throw them away if they're really knackered. The green ones from Aldi are rubbish and cracking after a year of use though, probably because black is much better at resisting UV degradation.

If the Containerwise were cheaper I'd be more likely to get them, but currently 10 of the 28s would cost me £77.95 from Oakland whereas 10 flimsy 24s would be £7.45.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I was fascinated by the Bustaseed tip out modules, until I saw the price. Nigh on £20 for a set!
https://www.harrodhorticultural.com/bust...10949.html

Like many I use accumulated modules and I also inherited masses of 3" sq pots all of which have lasted many years. I've given up buying the Aldi ones too. I find I use smaller cells initially because of lack of space, then regret it as the plants outgrow their modules, probably because I leave them in there too long. .If buying any I would opt for larger cells that would fit in a standard seed flat or into the gravel trays I have, but I'm not likely to buy any at those prices.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Farendwoman, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

MartinH Offline
I got a few of the containerwise ones this year to see how they get on - some 7 x 4 standard ones and a deep one. I've been very impressed: sturdy enough to last a lifetime, good root growth and easy to push out the young plants with a finger through the big drainage hole. I plan to get more as and when the flimsy ones disintegrate. Assuming I can find the cash, because they aren't cheap.
[-] The following 4 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Many thanks TMTT - that's just the review I needed to save me some money! The comments were also worth reading. Time to ask myself the question - do I really need to buy them?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • toomanytommytoes