Michihili - Chinese cabbage/lettuce
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I was browsing TMTT's link to https://tomclothier.hort.net/page23.html - a site I've used for Germination temperatures - and found this article about growing lettuce year-round (look away Bren Big Grin).
He recommends growing Michihili  Chinese cabbage which can grow to 4 - 10 lbs and storing them in a fridge overwinter, slicing the heads off in rings to give shredded lettuce/cabbage.
When I've bought Chinese cabbage they do seem to keep for weeks and are very versatile as you can eat them raw or chuck some in a stirfry. 
Has anyone had a success growing these big jobbies - or even little jobbies?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 6 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Spec

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
No, never tried growing it. But I agree it does seem to last a long time and is very versatile. I really like it! Not had it for years (a bit too exotic for island shops!). Thanks for reminding me about it, I’ll definitely be keeping a lookout for seeds.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
https://www.premierseedsdirect.com/produ...michihili/
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Never heard of it, but have tried ordinary Chinese cabbage, unsuccessfully. I'm wondering why I might want lettuce all year round (sorry Bren). Now stir fry greens are another matter. I might look at sowing whatever seeds I have.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Not a lettuce, but my Austurian tree cabbage appears to be a lettuce/cabbage cross? Huh Leaves are lettuce coloured and 'softer' than cabbage. I haven't tried any yet as the caterpillars have had a bit of a field day on them but the newest leaves look reasonably clean so I will try some raw and cooked. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Bren Offline
It looks interesting, I do like lettuce. Big Grin
I grow 'All year round' Arctic king and Valmaine lettuce for winter, but usually any lettuce will grow in GH if I use a bit of fleece.
[-] The following 6 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(12-09-2022, 09:12 AM)Veggie Wrote: https://www.premierseedsdirect.com/produ...michihili/
Ordered. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

toomanytommytoes Offline
I've tried growing Chinese cabbage a few times, Wong Bok from Premier Seeds and some hybrid varieties from T&M (boooooo). The first time they went to seed early (sown in spring) and the second time they got hammered by pests (sown after mid-summer). It's best sown early in spring or late summer, they go to seed very easily in warm weather. Slugs love the leaves and if caterpillars get in there they'll eat their way to the heart and leave their green poo all over the rest. If you can keep the pests away they're very nice to eat. I would probably opt for a hybrid variety as they are less likely to bolt early.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie