Propagating mint from root cuttings
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I know you can stick a stem in a jar of water - but I need more than a couple of plants and I don't have many stems left to take.

Has anyone taken cuttings from roots? How successful is it? I would like to make quite a few plants...
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Haven't done it myself but...............https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-take-mint-cuttings/
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I know that's how Jekkas propagate their mints... if I could get a load from a couple of plants it would help my lack of greenery hugely

That link says next month? I don't think now would hurt too much would it. I'm going to take the plunge Big Grin... I have don't it with Phlox, but put those straight back
In the garden. Wish me luck.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
When I do cuttings in water - if its a long stem I chop it into segments so that one stem becomes several cuttings.

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(05-09-2022, 05:14 PM)Veggie Wrote: When I do cuttings in water - if its a long stem I chop it into segments so that one stem becomes several cuttings.
I've been using them for cut stems - I've not really got many left. There's lots of little new ones coming but thought if I could pull out some roots from the pot I may get some plants going without using the top growth?

I'm going to give it a shot a never got round to it earlier.

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
If you scrabble around the plant you may find some rooted runners. Several of mine in modules have rooted in the neighbouring module.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Scarlet

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
If you have little ones coming you could try to cut a bit of root with each one.
Also, I put about 12 roots in an old bath last year and the bath filled in a couple of months.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I can't remember when I actually took the cuttings.

But it was around 10 days ago? Lifted the plant out of the container and took several 2inch pieces of mint. Laid them on the compost and covered lightly. Left in the geeenhouse. I've checked today and theres lots growth... one happy girl Big Grin

[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, Roitelet, Small chilli, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
I need to do this too, from my two surviving mints. They're in pots too small for their liking, and I want lots more mint for use in the kitchen Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie