Growing in Crates
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(04-09-2022, 11:48 AM)Moth Wrote: Crikey! They cost about twenty quid each. Where have they been liberated from?
Mine have come from the local Freebie group - not all at once, usually 2/3 at a time. Collecting 4 yesterday was a highlight!!
There are a couple in a skip down the road but I'm afraid to take them as they seem to be holding back a pile of rubbish.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Did you ever tell us what you were going to use the crates for?
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(16-06-2023, 08:11 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Did you ever tell us what you were going to use the crates for?

I don't think she had any Idea and was just picking peoples brains for their ideas.

I use them in spring with old compost to to get dahlias to shoot in a GH before planting out.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sorry to disagree Mark  Wink , I think veggie always has an idea   Big Grin . Just doesn’t always follow the idea up with actually doing it  Big Grin . Even then a lot of the time someone else will be trialling veggies idea  Cool . Because no matter how crazy and off the wall some of the ideas are, they still sound perfectly plausible and worth giving a go   Cool  Big Grin .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'd always intended to use them as mini "raised" beds - literally "raised" as they were up on a table. I lined 4 with cardboard to stop the compost from falling through the holes and sowed carrots in 2 and planted strawberry runners in the other 2.
The "table" they were on had to be dismantled earlier this year as it was collapsing, so I carried the crates down the garden and put them down on another piece of cardboard to keep the grass down.
It did work and I had some carrots from then. Unfortunately, I failed to keep on top of the watering and the strawberries have dried up.

They get Plus points for being easily movable, even when full and for using to create growing space where none previously existed (like patios). Minus points because of the need to water them but that applies to anything in containers.

I may (not a promise) put some up on the table in GH3 over winter to enable me to grow more winter crops.
I still have a stack of them unused
  • Bren, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(16-06-2023, 08:59 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(16-06-2023, 08:11 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Did you ever tell us what you were going to use the crates for?

I don't think she had any Idea and was just picking peoples brains for their ideas.

I use them in spring with old compost to to get dahlias to shoot in a GH before planting out.
Actually, the clue was in the title of the thread. Big Grin
  • Mark_Riga, Small chilli