Spring cabbage
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Who grows Spring cabbages? 
Which ones do you grow and when do you sow them please? 
Now for the difficult question................ could you sow any cabbage now and eat it in spring as a looseleaved cabbage and leave some to heart up for summer? 
As you know, I don't have much success with brassicas but feel the need to try!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

toomanytommytoes Offline
I've grown Spring Hero F1 (ballhead cabbage) and Winter Jewel F1 (spring greens), both great varieties. There are some good overwintering pointed types too like Duncan and April, though I've not tried them. Sow them now and plant them out in October. They'll take a battering and look awful over winter but as the days get longer in February they grow quickly. Spring Hero will form a good heart by April but you can eat both as loose greens. Slugs absolutely love munching their way in to cabbage heads so maybe loose leaf is better anyway.

Not sure if it would work with any cabbage, they have to be winter hardy.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’m with you veggie. I’ve never tried spring cabbage growing. I really enjoy eating spring greens. So I definitely should try growing them. I’ll join you veggie Big Grin . 
Thanks TMTT. I’ve got some April seeds
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've tried and failed with cabbages of any sort. The pests got more than I did. I believe they enjoyed them though.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(31-08-2022, 11:46 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: I've grown Spring Hero F1 (ballhead cabbage) and Winter Jewel F1 (spring greens), both great varieties. There are some good overwintering pointed types too like Duncan and April, though I've not tried them. Sow them now and plant them out in October. They'll take a battering and look awful over winter but as the days get longer in February they grow quickly. Spring Hero will form a good heart by April but you can eat both as loose greens. Slugs absolutely love munching their way in to cabbage heads so maybe loose leaf is better anyway.

Not sure if it would work with any cabbage, they have to be winter hardy.
Thanks TMTT - that's my job for today sorted - and I don't mean buying the seeds. Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I always grow Durham Early and Offenham 2. I have grown Spring Hero before as well.

The idea is that you plant them reasonably close together (say 6 inches apart) and harvest alternate plants as spring greens. Why they are called spring cabbage I have no idea as the seed I sowed August 21 are being used as cabbages now, so they are in the ground for a full year (similar to PSb in that respect)

I also have my austurian tree cabbage growing but I am not sure when the harvesting period for these is supposed to be. I don't grow summer cabbage as I just cut a cross in the top of harvested SC and get smaller pointy cabbes just right for me.

I have net years crop sown now, some in early August and some only last week.These will be transpalanted into areas that didn't have brassicas growing in them this year.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks for your advice, folks.
I've sown Durham Early, Wheelers Imperial, April and Winterjewel - all well past their sow by date, so I've sown lots in the hope of getting one of each.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Completely forgot to do sow mine. I’ll have to do it Monday. Busy working & building till then.
Question is where am I going to loan t them when they’re ready to go out ? Here or Bradan? Decisions decisions
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Just as an adjunct, in the past I have sccessfully grown spring cabbage in pots in the greenhouse over winter. A good way to get some winter usage from the greenhouse and results in earlier maturing and clean plants. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I grew a Hispi cabbage in the GH for a couple of years - the same Hispi perennialised !
It grew tall, fell over and the stalk rooted into the soil and produced little Hispi babies along its length. Maybe I'll try that again this year.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny