2020 - Tell us what you did today
Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(28-12-2020, 03:19 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(28-12-2020, 02:33 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(28-12-2020, 12:55 AM)Can the Man Wrote:
(27-12-2020, 05:48 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(27-12-2020, 05:14 PM)Can the Man Wrote: Cleaned up some branches that came down in last nights storm Bella got the turf in and lit the fire, it’s expected to be a cold one tonight.
Hello Can,

What do you mean by got the turf in?
Hi Danny, I have my turf stored in a shed so I have to fill up the bunker outside the back door, takes 3 wheel barrow loads to fill it. I like veg on the Bog so I buy a trailer load of turf throw it back into the shed my son built me this year.
Nice looking shed/structure there Can although I'm still none the wiser about what you meanSmile

When you safe turf are you talking about grass turf?

http://www.oldandinteresting.com/peat-fire.aspx
Hi Danny, no it’s the turf from the Bog, we burn it in the fire. Let’s hope this photo works.

Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
It all becomes clear. Smile

If turf is a block of peat, what is a carpet of grass?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Broadway

Broadway Offline
(28-12-2020, 03:36 PM)Can the Man Wrote:
(28-12-2020, 12:55 AM)Can the Man Wrote:
(27-12-2020, 05:48 PM)Broadway Wrote: Hello Can,

What do you mean by got the turf in?
Hi Danny, I have my turf stored in a shed so I have to fill up the bunker outside the back door, takes 3 wheel barrow loads to fill it. I like veg on the Bog so I buy a trailer load of turf throw it back into the shed my son built me this year.
Nice looking shed/structure there Can although I'm still none the wiser about what you meanSmile

Hi Danny, no it’s the turf from the Bog, we burn it in the fire. Let’s hope this photo works.
Ok gotcha Can, so how long would a “turf” burn for and how many would you load at one time on your fire?

Thanks for the link Veggie.
Regards..........Danny Smile

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(28-12-2020, 07:52 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(28-12-2020, 03:36 PM)Can the Man Wrote:
(28-12-2020, 12:55 AM)Can the Man Wrote: Hi Danny, I have my turf stored in a shed so I have to fill up the bunker outside the back door, takes 3 wheel barrow loads to fill it. I like veg on the Bog so I buy a trailer load of turf throw it back into the shed my son built me this year.

Ok gotcha Can, so how long would a “turf” burn for and how many would you load at one time on your fire?

Thanks for the link Veggie.
I generally burn the turf on a base of smokeless coal ovoids in the stove together with some wood, I control the air flow through the stove so generally get a few hours out of the fire before putting more on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Broadway

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Yesterday I visited the allotment mainly to take a load of cardboard I had collected over the Crimbo period. While I was there I decided I may as well do a bit of tidying up. Collected a bag of onions for use at home and stored the rest on the greenhouse bench,chucking out any that had started to go soft. Put all the pots full of compost that had had the toms in outdoors. Harvested a cabbage and picked up my tupperware container with my seeds in . I will rummage through it and see what I need to buy for this year.
Not bothering with climbing French beans next year as I found them tough to eat. Tendergreen dwarf beans were lovely though so I must have some more of those.I harvested what remained of my runner beans when I was there but have yet to shell them.

TTFN and take care folks. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Bren Offline
Yesterday cleared lots of Silver birch twigs/branches garden seemed full of them, pulled a few weeds up but that was about it.

Won't be doing anything out there today because of the snow.
[-] The following 5 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Admin Offline
The Boss
Dug out the last of the old Joan J raspberry canes ( and associated runners), in preparation for the new ones.

I have also covered another couple of beds until i need them.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Broadway Offline
Another walk along the canal into town. (Chilly but lovely, nearly went over a couple of times!!)

Popped into Wilko, they now have seed potatoes in but only the displays for the onions sets. I took a photo of all the varieties and will make my list for Monday’s visit?

Popped over the plot, bailed out the shed bucket and brought back some more bags of soil. (This needs sieving and I’ve decided it would be easier in the yard)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Picked the last of the chillies from my chilli plants in the tunnel, the dug up the plants, broke them up and put them in the compost bin. Then I dug over the beds the chilli plants were in scatter d some pellet chicken manure and some bone blood feed as the box had got damp I scattered it on all the raised beds. Watered my carrots and beet roots. It as 8’C in the tunnel today and 5’C outside, later when I finished it was 5’C in the tunnel and 2’C outside.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Broadway, JJB

Broadway Offline
Played chess for the first time in 20 odd years in the week, against his uncle, I lost☹

They have now setup a league with 6 of us and I played my cousin (the favourite) this afternoon, 1hr 45min game! He won, just?

We are all very competitive and I had a great time although by the end I had square eyes and was merry from the many slurps of lager?

EDIT - This is obviously online
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man