Bread!
Bren Offline
Vinny I use a dough hook on my Kenwood chef then knead by hand after to get the feel of the dough, its  very satisfying Smile  
I'm lucky i can buy fresh yeast from the corn merchant  but I know if you ask in Tesco on the bread counter they'll give you some for free, I've asked a couple of times when I used to shop there before we had an Aldi.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I agree with all the posts, bread baked at home in a machine or by hand is so much nicer. I use a bread machine to make a highly seeded wholemeal loaf with sesame, poppy, linseed, wheat flakes, pumpkin and sunflower seeds. As we don't eat much bread it gets sliced and frozen.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

doublyjonah Offline
I know someone mentioned that sourdough lasts longer than normal bread. Breads with egg, oil/butter, or sugar/honey last longer than leaner breads as well. For crusty breads, we sometimes leave it cut side down on a wooden chopping board during the day we made it so the crust doesn't soften too much by being enclosed in a container, then put in the bread bin in the evening. We also use a dough hook with a mixer since there are time consuming, if lovely, children about...
[-] The following 4 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

SarrissUK Offline
I love to make bread and buns, and it's only because we eat less that I do it less often. Most our bread is either seeded from the shop, or seeded home made. I freeze what's left over on day 2, sliced and stick it straight in the toaster from frozen when I need it Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
We're bread makes here, too, baking every other day. We alternate between sourdough by hand or the bread machine, but the flour is the same.  
We try to have a day’s worth in the freezer and freeze it as fresh as possible. I forgot to make the sourdough this evening for baking in the morning !
If I was only allowed to eat one type of carbs it would be bread.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I also think that sourdough lasts longer than regular bread. It's been a while since I had a starter on the go (and I have no oven currently anyway) but I'd like to get one going again in the future. I used to just leave the loaf on a wooden chopping board, cut side down, and it lasted pretty well like that. It also toasts really well and makes better sandwiches than regular bread (as it doesn't get soggy as easily).
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 4 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Yep as has been mentioned I dragged out my wooden chopping board which hasn't seen the ligh of day for a while and put the same damp cloth over the loaf that I used to prove it. My loaf has lasted well and I am now ready for to make the nezt! Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Veggie

Vinny Offline
(19-08-2022, 10:45 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'm sure you can make a lid for your Bin out of summat you have knocking around.

Incidentally, if you don't want to turn your oven on , you can bake bread on a slowcooker. Never tried it myself but there are lots of recipes on the web Here's one
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/slow-cooker-bread
Made a lid for my bread bin..............a tea towel! Tongue  Big Grin

tbh I just leave bread on my wooden bread chopping board and cover with a tea towel. If I wanted to I could use the bread board as a lid for my bread bin, but am happy doing what I am doing! Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Made two loaves today, a normal white loaf and an experimental loave. Rolleyes

I just added chopped jalapeno's,chopped green olives, chopped Sun dried tomatoes and some grated chedder to half the bread mix. Cool Well impressed with the way it turned out and it's quite 'moorish'. In fact I can't see it lasting long at all.

I cooked Kato's chicken thighs at the same time so I made good use of the oven. Idea

I'm beginning to think I missed my true vocation and should have been a baker! Big Grin

Piccie is of both loaves on my breadboard (tea towel behind) I've already sampled some of each! Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Sounds daft I know but.................how about tiny pieces of trout goujons incorporated into the bread mix? Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie