Eat only UK Plants/ Rationing
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(13-08-2022, 05:00 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(13-08-2022, 04:46 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(13-08-2022, 01:32 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Too restrictive for me, can't give up nuts, olive oil, spices, dark chocolate, tea... If you don't have the benefit of being able to grow your own, I think it'll end up being very boring (in winter) buying from the supermarket or quite expensive buying from those small suppliers.

(13-08-2022, 03:57 PM)Small chilli Wrote: I couldn’t give up rice. I’m also with TMTT, couldn’t give up spice’s.
It’s really surprising how many’s grown ingredients we take for granted that we couldn’t produce ourselves.

Which spices couldn't you both give up?
Curry powder!
Essential’s 
Cumin 
coriander 
turmeric
Fenugreek 
garam masala (again another mix) 
cinnamon 
chilli powder ( I know I can grow enough to make that   Wink  ) 
all the others when you need them , you need them. Like asafoetida. You never need much but it makes all the difference. 
yes you can grow a lot on the list. Not sure how much you’d need to make enough power to last a year. ( in this house probably somewhere around 250g - 300g of each )
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I've never used asafoetida but, apparently, the Germans call it Devil's Dung. Big Grin

An extremely pungent spice extracted from a plant of the giant fennel family, asafoetida is frequently used in Indian and Middle Eastern cooking. In fact, asafoetida's strong, garlicky, dung-like smell is quite off-putting (the Germans call it Teufelsdreck – devil's dung!), but if you can overcome the stink, which disappears in the cooking process, the smallest amount of it transforms vegetable dishes, meat stews and fish. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/asafoetida
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(13-08-2022, 06:48 PM)Veggie Wrote: I've never used asafoetida but, apparently, the Germans call it Devil's Dung. Big Grin

An extremely pungent spice extracted from a plant of the giant fennel family, asafoetida is frequently used in Indian and Middle Eastern cooking. In fact, asafoetida's strong, garlicky, dung-like smell is quite off-putting (the Germans call it Teufelsdreck – devil's dung!), but if you can overcome the stink, which disappears in the cooking process, the smallest amount of it transforms vegetable dishes, meat stews and fish. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/asafoetida
That’s very interesting thanks veggie.
It definitely is the most unpleasant smelling spice I’ve come across.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Don't think I'll buy any - much less try to grow it!!
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

SarrissUK Offline
Pepper would be tricky to give up, both white and black. I know white pepper is all sorts of unfashionable, but I use it all the time.

I'd struggle without bananas. I don't eat many, but it's the only thing that helps my muscle spasms. I get them in the eye all the time if I don't have a banana every few days. There's probably other stuff I could eat to do the same thing.

Cinnamon is definitely on that list for me - I love anything cinnamon flavoured.

Rice I'd definitely not want to be without, but I could, if I had to. Imported pasta I could live without as I often make my own fresh anyway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(13-08-2022, 04:46 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(13-08-2022, 01:32 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Too restrictive for me, can't give up nuts, olive oil, spices, dark chocolate, tea... If you don't have the benefit of being able to grow your own, I think it'll end up being very boring (in winter) buying from the supermarket or quite expensive buying from those small suppliers.

(13-08-2022, 03:57 PM)Small chilli Wrote: I couldn’t give up rice. I’m also with TMTT, couldn’t give up spice’s.
It’s really surprising how many’s grown ingredients we take for granted that we couldn’t produce ourselves.

Which spices couldn't you both give up?
Similar to SP...cumin seeds, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, paprika, turmeric, fenugreek leaves. We make our own garam masala so that also means black cardamom, green cardamom, Indian bay leaves, cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon stick, nutmeg.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(13-08-2022, 09:48 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: Pepper would be tricky to give up, both white and black. I know white pepper is all sorts of unfashionable, but I use it all the time.

I'd struggle without bananas. I don't eat many, but it's the only thing that helps my muscle spasms. I get them in the eye all the time if I don't have a banana every few days. There's probably other stuff I could eat to do the same thing.

Cinnamon is definitely on that list for me - I love anything cinnamon flavoured.

Rice I'd definitely not want to be without, but I could, if I had to. Imported pasta I could live without as I often make my own fresh anyway.
I wonder if the UK produces the right sort of flour to make pasta? I'm not sure how much bread flour we produce either.
Duckduck found this https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics...ly-sources

The UK is largely self-sufficient in production of grains, producing over 100% of domestic consumption of oats and barley and over 90% of wheat.

That's encouraging. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

SarrissUK Offline
Strong flour is better, but actually, if you don't mind a softer pasta, normal plain flour is fine Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(13-08-2022, 05:21 PM)Veggie Wrote: Curry powder is a mix of spices. Tongue
It saved me listing the full list! Tongue
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
My husband is gluten free and since the boys aren't here much anymore our food choices have changed hugely. No pasta, bakery is very limited, no rice, our carb choice is usually potatoes and beans. I love lentils - I don't think the UK produce those do they?

I would often make curry/pasta dishes etc as the boys would eat that... I can't be bothered cooking one dish for me and another for my husband. He doesn't eat any spice anymore either. I can't remember the last time I bought any spices - I would miss those but I would miss the ones you put in cakes! Christmas cake?!

I love oranges - so I couldn't go without those, so many things I really enjoy are imported - avocado,mango, coffee...I have started buying the occasional English wine but they are pretty pricey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Veggie