British Gas Fixed Tariff?
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I have just had an offer off British gas to fix my tariff for both gas and electricity?

Now maybe I am missing something but I was wondering whether they were for real? Cry

If I do nothing my estimated costs based on last years usage are:- Gas=£366.88 per annum & Electricity = £1013.96 

Fixing my price would be:-...........................................................Gas=£633.61 per annum & Electricity = £1733.00

Its a no brainer for me! Rolleyes

The only way I would benefit from fixed price would be if they were contemplating doubling the cost of both in which case I would ask them to cut off supply completely and go back  to candles and wood burner for heating and lighting.A weekly bath/shower at my daughters would suffice at a push?

Needless to say I am NOT fixing the price and will wait and see outcome! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Don't know if this helps explain the situation - I'm still baffled. Big Grin
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilit...orth-it--/

EDIT I fixed my tariff for 2 years in February 2022. The writing was on the wall for increases and, although it was a bit more than I was paying, I thought I'd take up the offer (EON Next). Hope its a gamble that pays off.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

Vinny Offline
(03-08-2022, 12:58 PM)Veggie Wrote: Don't know if this helps explain the situation - I'm still baffled. Big Grin
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilit...orth-it--/

EDIT I fixed my tariff for 2 years in February 2022. The writing was on the wall for increases and, although it was a bit more than I was paying, I thought I'd take up the offer (EON Next). Hope its a gamble that pays off.
Clear as mud veggie! Rolleyes

Time to get the Tilly lamps out methinks and buy a small generator! Big Grin The cost of candles will rocket next! Rolleyes
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I heard a bit of a programme on the radio recently - (in the car so missed the start and finish) but a caller said that he had the gas capped to his house and intended to go All-electric. All gas appliances had been removed. His problem was that he still had to pay a standing charge for gas to the house, even though he couldn't use it. Don't know what the outcome was but I have thought about changing from a gas boiler and the 2 burner gas hob to all electric heating with wood fire.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(03-08-2022, 01:43 PM)Veggie Wrote: I heard a bit of a programme on the radio recently - (in the car so missed the start and finish) but a caller said that he had the gas capped to his house and intended to go All-electric. All gas appliances had been removed. His problem was that he still had to pay a standing charge for gas to the house, even though he couldn't use it. Don't know what the outcome was but I have thought about changing from a gas boiler and the 2 burner gas hob to all electric heating with wood fire.
Your plan sounds like a good one! Cool 

I can't understand how someone can be charged a standing charge for a capped gas meter? There ae houses without gas and surely they can't be charged either? Huh

British Gas have just made massive profits because of other firms going bust. Surely the governement can insist they plough some of those profits, even half, back into reducing fuel bills? Angry Utility suppliers have got a monopoly on the market and seem to think they can just charge whatever they like. Sick
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
A properly installed gas boiler should be a lot cheaper than electric to run for hot water and heating the house. The main thing is to insulate the house to a high standard and fix any drafts. Then only heat the main living room, wear warm clothing and have a good continental quilt.

I put cedar shingles on the gable end of the house several years ago now and am annoyed that i didn't put some insulation in while I was doing it.

Wood is not a cheap option unless you have access to a free supply, without considering the pollution aspect (if everyone in the neighbourhood had the same idea?).
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I'm not disagreeing with you, Mark, I've always had gas heating & hot water for that reason. To change the system would cost more than paying the bills.
However, with gas, its not just the "therms you use, but you have to factor in the cost of the Annual service. Since I'm clueless I also pay for Breakdown cover, which includes servicing and all parts and labour. It gives me peace of mind when something goes wrong.
The boiler is 17 years old now so nothing would surprise me! I believe there's going to be a ban on the installation of new Gas boilers soon so whether I'd be able to replace it when it fails - I don't know,
My hotwater tank has an immersion heater so I could do without gas for hot water; I could get an electric hot plate, instead of the gas rings but the missing thing is heating the house. A few electric heaters in the most used rooms would help but, whatever I do to avoid using gas, I'd still have to pay the daily standing charge.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga

Vinny Offline
I  have an electric hob and double oven.My gas usageis is minimal compared to my electric as I rely heavily on the woodburner and rarely use the gas fire in the other room. I have a gas fired combi type boiler which I mainly use for hot water as  I rarely have the heating on.

Wood is not cheap if you have to buy it and cost me £400 last year. I always supplement it with scrounged wood though which I chainsaw to size myself and  its a big help in keeping costs down Cool

I basically live in one room! Rolleyes
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(04-08-2022, 11:46 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'm not disagreeing with you, Mark, I've always had gas heating & hot water for that reason. To change the system would cost more than paying the bills.
However, with gas, its not just the "therms you use, but you have to factor in the cost of the Annual service. Since I'm clueless I also pay for Breakdown cover, which includes servicing and all parts and labour. It gives me peace of mind when something goes wrong.
The boiler is 17 years old now so nothing would surprise me! I believe there's going to be a ban on the installation of new Gas boilers soon so whether I'd be able to replace it when it fails - I don't know,
My hotwater tank has an immersion heater so I could do without gas for hot water; I could get an electric hot plate, instead of the gas rings but the missing thing is heating the house. A few electric heaters in the most used rooms would help but, whatever I do to avoid using gas, I'd still have to pay the daily standing charge.

If I had an old boiler and was thinking of changing it, I'd get a quote for an air source heat pump, particularly as I have radiators already installed and somewhere outside convenient to install one. A radiator in main living room might need upgrading. The government is currently giving £5000 towards one (for the first 90,000, so the final cost would likely be £2000 to £5000 depending on size recommended for the house - with inflation now, these figure could change quickly. Heat pumps work similar to a freezer but taking heat out of the outside air and using it to warm the water inside.

We used  to use coal/wood till 2012 when we had a heat pump fitted. It was cheaper to run than coal and a lot cleaner. It is not quite as efficient as it could be as we didn't change any of the radiators. Last winter, which was mild, it used, on average just over 11 units a day during dec. to Feb., mainly heating the living room and kitchen plus hot water. I don't miss emptying all the ashes and having to light it regularly. The only drawback is, being all electric, when there is a power cut, we lose everything - heating, cooking, lighting even phone now. A wood burner for emergency use is needed in the living room really. We have a calor gas stove and propane bottles for emergency use (used once so far just for cups of tea).

I wouldn't really recommend stand alone electric fires now with the price of electricity going up and up. Our electric is working out at the moment at 40p a unit, so for a fiver,one bar could be on for 12½ hours, 2 bars for 6¼ hours and it's going up significantly in October, and then again in January.

If you stopped using gas, you would need to query the gas standing charge continuing to the end of your contract.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Veggie