Social Media
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(01-08-2022, 09:01 PM)Small chilli Wrote: I dropped instagram like a red hot brick. Just couldn’t be bothered.
On fb for local buy & sell groups, finding out what cetacean are around. Finding gardening deals. Other than that I’m not interested. Mostly on fb to use messenger. Which I like because it means I don’t have to actually talk to anyone.
There’s one other thing that fb is quite useful for and that’s building advice & ideas. We both got so annoyed at all the self building group being full of “we got our builders to do this” or “our plasterer made a complete mess “. Bob set up actual self builders uk. He uses fb a lot more than me.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(01-10-2022, 11:12 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I joined friends reunited when it first started maybe in 2000? Not long after i moved out of London... linking up with friends that Id moved away from.
We all moved over to FB when that started. I dont have many local people on it - I use it for friends/family from my home town and people I went to college with.

I absolutely loved instagram- love photos, but its changed lots over the last 18Months so I dont use it like I did, I dont like videos/reels... though I love a page of photographs. Shows me what was in flower when etc.Reminds me whta was good in the garden. I have "met" lots of other gardeners and have swapped dahlia tubers with some Smile

FB I still use - fab for local groups. If someones cat gets hurt or someone has lost a key etc - you can find the owner.
I found my patio tiles - second hand on there and a ferret for my bother Big Grin

I post my flower bunch photos and let people know what I've picked on the weekend via my flower page - local people follow me and message me when they want a bunch! When it was raining/super hot it was the only way to sell my flowers.

You can find me at Shurnhold flowers

I also follow groups - national dahlias etc... and some diabetes groups for kids when my boys were first diagnosed were life savers when i needed advice and DIY info/kit to extend the life of medical equipment that I couldn't afford to buy. I managed to make a gadget that linked to my sons kit that would wake me at night if his blood sugars were out of range. That would not have been possible if I hadnt been on FB

I use Messenger all the time for my boys - sending photos etc

Just had a look at your FB page, the photos and colours are stunning.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I also use FB groups and Instagram for tips on how to do certain jewellery techniques. So useful when you can actually ask someone and get an answer on the same day.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-10-2022, 09:18 AM)JJB Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 11:12 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I joined friends reunited when it first started maybe in 2000? Not long after i moved out of London... linking up with friends that Id moved away from.
We all moved over to FB when that started. I dont have many local people on it - I use it for friends/family from my home town and people I went to college with.

I absolutely loved instagram- love photos, but its changed lots over the last 18Months so I dont use it like I did, I dont like videos/reels... though I love a page of photographs. Shows me what was in flower when etc.Reminds me whta was good in the garden. I have "met" lots of other gardeners and have swapped dahlia tubers with some Smile

FB I still use - fab for local groups. If someones cat gets hurt or someone has lost a key etc - you can find the owner.
I found my patio tiles - second hand on there and a ferret for my bother Big Grin

I post my flower bunch photos and let people know what I've picked on the weekend via my flower page - local people follow me and message me when they want a bunch! When it was raining/super hot it was the only way to sell my flowers.

I also follow groups - national dahlias etc... and some diabetes groups for kids when my boys were first diagnosed were life savers when i needed advice and DIY info/kit to extend the life of medical equipment that I couldn't afford to buy. I managed to make a gadget that linked to my sons kit that would wake me at night if his blood sugars were out of range. That would not have been possible if I hadnt been on FB

Thank you Smile I love photos... my new phone isnt great so I may start using the proper camera again.  ..love a photo of a flower Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(02-10-2022, 09:23 AM)Scarlet Wrote:
(02-10-2022, 09:18 AM)JJB Wrote:

Thank you Smile I love photos... my new phone isnt great so I may start using the proper camera again.  ..love a photo of a flower Big Grin

Especially when they are as beautiful as yours.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I haven't figured out how to finds groups on FB yet, I don't find FB intuitive or perhaps I get bogged down by all the rubbish on it. Must try harder.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-10-2022, 09:33 AM)JJB Wrote: I haven't figured out how to finds groups on FB yet, I don't find FB intuitive or perhaps I get bogged down by all the rubbish on it. Must try harder.
Just put what you’re looking for in the search box at the top. It’ll give you lists of groups/people with similar names. Don’t get your hopes up, the results will still probably not be what you want  Rolleyes

You’re right there is nothing intuitive about fb. It infuriating at best. But it does on occasion have its uses.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-10-2022, 09:33 AM)JJB Wrote: I haven't figured out how to finds groups on FB yet, I don't find FB intuitive or perhaps I get bogged down by all the rubbish on it. Must try harder.
If you search say "dahlias" groups will pop up.

A few years ago when i was propagating dahlias I went on the national dahlia uk page - some serious growers on there. Propagating hundreds of plants just to show several blooms. Some of the old guys have so much knowledge.
I had trouble with rotting stems - one facetimed me so he could look at my compost mix Big Grin I couldnt believe how helpful they were. I didnt even intend to show - just for cutting - but I learnt so much.

They even set up big groups and did dahlia talks where we could join and ask questions on propagating and varieties...on teams or something. Forgot how I got in...but actually speaking to them can be so mych easier
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Thanks for the tips, both of you.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I don't know whether you can class youtube or google as social media or not but I used both a lot when re-wiring and re-plumbing my house! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie