Recommendation please
Broadway Offline
Hi folks

I'm after your thoughts on a compact / bush tomato to grow in a .5 x 1.5 metre area? No support needed and was thinking I could fit 6 to 8 in? Will be covered with plastic to generate heat.

TIA
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

toomanytommytoes Offline
Just a few questions before I recommend anything:

What sort of tomatoes are you interested in i.e. cherries/medium/large?
How tall will the plastic covering be?
Do you want varieties with blight resistance?

I don't think you would get 6-8 in that space unless you are growing extremely compact varieties like micro dwarfs. Many of the bush tomatoes can still get quite tall and wide, especially when grown in the ground. Last year I had 4 bushes in a 4x4 ft bed and they filled that space easily. The closer you grow them together the more likely you are to get blight, so 3 or 4 plants is what I'd go with.

Many of the bushes will also require some sort of support, even micro dwarfs (which only get 12-18 inches tall) can need a small cane to stop them falling over when the fruit starts swelling. The only bush tomatoes I wouldn't support are the hanging basket types like Maskotka/Koralik, but you still need something to keep them off the ground as slugs/snails etc. will eat the fruit.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The beds in my GHs are about 2' wide (I don't do metres) and each plant is about 2' apart. The only toms I'd grow
closer together are the Windowsill type. Even some of those need supporting.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Broadway Offline
(01-08-2022, 03:47 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Just a few questions before I recommend anything:

What sort of tomatoes are you interested in i.e. cherries/medium/large?
How tall will the plastic covering be?
Do you want varieties with blight resistance?

I don't think you would get 6-8 in that space unless you are growing extremely compact varieties like micro dwarfs. Many of the bush tomatoes can still get quite tall and wide, especially when grown in the ground. Last year I had 4 bushes in a 4x4 ft bed and they filled that space easily. The closer you grow them together the more likely you are to get blight, so 3 or 4 plants is what I'd go with.

Many of the bushes will also require some sort of support, even micro dwarfs (which only get 12-18 inches tall) can need a small cane to stop them falling over when the fruit starts swelling. The only bush tomatoes I wouldn't support are the hanging basket types like Maskotka/Koralik, but you still need something to keep them off the ground as slugs/snails etc. will eat the fruit.
Hi TMTT

To answer your questions cherries, about a metre, and I suppose blight resistant if possibleSmile

Many thanks
  • Can the Man, JJB

toomanytommytoes Offline
For blight resistant cherries I'd go with Lizzano F1 and Losetto F1 (both available from Premier Seeds Direct). For non-blight resistant, Koralik.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Broadway Offline
(02-08-2022, 10:52 AM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: For blight resistant cherries I'd go with Lizzano F1 and Losetto F1 (both available from Premier Seeds Direct). For non-blight resistant, Koralik.
Thank you TMTTSmile

I'm going to try Lizzano
  • Can the Man, JJB