Roses
Scarlet Online
Super Pest Controller
(19-01-2021, 12:57 PM)Spec Wrote: Has anyone grown old English Roses and if so do they give a good performance
I haven't got any old varieties, but I do grow the "old rose" styles from David Austin.I love the bloom and the smell in the garden.

What roses were you thinking of trying?

Spec Offline
There are some advertised in a garden magazine as old English, the latest breeding, totaly hardy, so was wondering if they had really improved since I had last tried English Roses about 50 years ago then they had a very poor performance

Spec Offline
Scarlet just on thinking back I am sure the ones I had tried in the past were David Austen roses and didn't do very well at all, so went to Aberdeen to get some roses from Anderson and Cockers

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I have a cream coloured rose flowering now. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • PyreneesPlot

Scarlet Online
Super Pest Controller
Most of my roses are David Austin - I've bought the recently bred ones. So latest was bred in 1990.

They have the fragrance and beautiful blooms of the ones dating early 1900 and before.

When I moved here there was one rose - it smelt gorgeous but never performed very well. I added a couple and they did ok.

I've added a few more over the years and the Autumn just gone had my birthday present delivery of Roses. Smile

Now it may be luck? My soil is clay, I try to loosen it, I add lots of homemade composts. I think roses like clay?
I plant with the M Fungus stuff/( sorry can't be bothered to check spelling) I make sure they are pruned and all leaves removed. This is not a major job in Jan when there's nothing else to do. I feed and mulch - which is a sprinkle of rose feed and Chuck on some manure or compost. They honestly have been fabulous. Last year they really came into their own - my garden had never looked or smelt so good.

Now I have got several P Beals roses and they haven't performed well compared tothe David Austin. I certainly haven't pruned that well in the past and I found that David As stems could be very thin and often wouldn't hold a flower and quite harsh on pruning now and it has helped.

Scarlet Online
Super Pest Controller
(21-01-2021, 10:00 AM)Vinny Wrote: I have a cream coloured rose flowering now. Smile
I cut all my roses off and have taken every leaf on all the ones I have when I pruned a couple of weeks ago. But they were still trying to flower in my garden in November.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Spec

Scarlet Online
Super Pest Controller
Just a few of mine -

I wouldn't hesitate to buy more.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Spec

Scarlet Online
Super Pest Controller
I mostly have pink! I've a couple of peachy ones and the white roses I have are climbers from elsewhere
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli

Scarlet Online
Super Pest Controller
My two standards - Anne Boleyn
They were stunning last year- they repeat flower too so although they don't flower as much as in the first flush deadheading gave me flowers right through until November this year.

I think I must be David Austin's number 1 fan Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Spec

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
They are lovely.
I spotted new growth on my rose cuttings yesterday so that very exciting. Don’t know what it is. Took the cuttings from outside the holiday cottage I clean. So it’s a climbing I think and pink. I’ll have to get some photos of it later in the year, so you can help ID it.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Spec