Tomatoes that grow beyond the truss
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I'm sorry, there must be a technical term for this, but for tomatoes that continue growing at the end of the truss I'm wondering when or if you normally stop them, and if it is bad for the plant?
I have one growing up a string, variety as yet unknown because it comes from a mixed pack, that cannot be left to grow on this way because of lack of space. Is it best to cut off the growing tip as soon as it is obvious, or wait for the fruit to set? And how much do I leave - one leaf, nothing? With grape vines I always cut back to one leaf beyond the bunch of grapes, perhaps these kinds of tomatoes would do well treated the same way?!
I think I usually just remove everything beyond the fruit, and blight aside, tomatoes seem to be pretty robust!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Funnily enough I was looking up this very subject recently. One or two of my toms are sprouting beyond their formed trusses. The consensus is ambiguous, most recommend chopping off the extra growth merely to concentrate the energy to the fruit but others said leave it to grow and flower to see what happens. Pays yer money takes yer choice. Smile I'm veering towards chopping.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've seen it but can't remember what I did. PP is it a big, beefsteak type tomato because I think they are prone to misbehaving - like forking (bifurcation) and producing megablooms.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ve had a few varieties do that. I cut them off.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man