Greenhouse for a newbie :) (it's me)
Alisina Offline
Smile 
Hello gardeners! Hope I understand it right that this section is for questions about everything related with the gardening. I'm new on the forum but I am so glad to be here because of amazing people  Smile

My question is about greenhouse. I am planning to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage and other veggies. I want to eat healthy, make juice with it - to grow the perfect food for me and family that we cpuld it without visiting shops at all. So what of them need to grow in the greenhouse? What is your advice for the first greenhouse for a newbie? I think about having one of these small greenhouses, but maybe I need to pay attention on the bigger ones?

What tips do you know about choosing a greenhouse? What is your experience of using them?

So many questions... Thank you in advance!
[-] The following 5 users Like Alisina's post:
  • Bren, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’m not going to be much help to you. I’m more of a polytunnel girl. But what I can tell you is the little ones with plastic covers aren’t nicknamed blow aways for nothing  Wink  . Also you will very quickly realise that it’s not big enough for you veggie growing obsession that’s just ignited. But to be fair what ever size you go with you will wish you’d gone for the next size up. It’s a thing all gardeners suffer from  Big Grin . 
So best advice I can give you is go for the biggest one you have the space for. I will let someone with more knowledge on the subject to advise on everything else.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I'm also not much help as I have inherited my greenhouse from the previous owner of my house so didn't get any say in what I was getting! However, one factor to consider is whether you want to grow in containers in your greenhouse, or want to grow in the ground. I would prefer the latter, but my greenhouse is set on paving slabs (probably the only real option here, as it's also on a slope) so it's containers or nothing for me.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Alisina, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Alisina, I think you first have to consider where your new greenhouse is going to be and what the it's going to stand on, i.e. slabs, grass, soil, etc, then think about the weather you're likely to get (especially if you opt for plastic covered frame type and you're in a windy area), then about how big you can go and the budget you have.

I don't know where in UK you are but that might influence what has to grow undercover. The usual greenhouse crops are tomatoes, cucumbers, chillies, aubergines and other semi- tropical plants, but some of these will grow outside in a warmer climate. Some of us with several greenhouses grow all sorts undercover. I think your cabbages would be best outside though Smile

There will be others along soon, I'm sure with more tips.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Bren Offline
Not much help to you Alisina but My greenhouse was a freebie from my next door neighbour, maybe look on sites like freecycle you might be lucky.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Alisina Offline
(10-06-2022, 07:31 AM)Small chilli Wrote: I’m not going to be much help to you. I’m more of a polytunnel girl. But what I can tell you is the little ones with plastic covers aren’t nicknamed blow aways for nothing  Wink  . Also you will very quickly realise that it’s not big enough for you veggie growing obsession that’s just ignited. But to be fair what ever size you go with you will wish you’d gone for the next size up. It’s a thing all gardeners suffer from  Big Grin . 
So best advice I can give you is go for the biggest one you have the space for. I will let someone with more knowledge on the subject to advise on everything else.
Thanks for telling me about the size, I guess that the bigger the better Smile

So can you share your polytunnel experience? I'd love to hear about it!
[-] The following 2 users Like Alisina's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Almost the first thing that I bought when I had my first garden was a greenhouse. It was 6' x 10' and, because I didn't have a sunny enough spot in the garden, I had it on a flat roofed extension! Not recommending this as an option but there were never any slugs up there. Big Grin I still have that GH, its been moved twice and is GH No 2 in my photos..........and its 40+ years old.
My point is - that GHs last a long time and are a good investment. You may need to replace some glass occasionally but not much else. Plastic covered (blowaway) GHs don't last very long so, if you can afford it, buy a glass one.
If you have a browse through the Greenhouse (GH) & Polytunnel (PT) thread at https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=40 you'll see how some of us use our GH/PTs to grow plants. They're very useful for raising seedlings for planting outside too - as well as growing tomatoes etc.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(10-06-2022, 10:59 AM)Alisina Wrote:
(10-06-2022, 07:31 AM)Small chilli Wrote: I’m not going to be much help to you. I’m more of a polytunnel girl. But what I can tell you is the little ones with plastic covers aren’t nicknamed blow aways for nothing  Wink  . Also you will very quickly realise that it’s not big enough for you veggie growing obsession that’s just ignited. But to be fair what ever size you go with you will wish you’d gone for the next size up. It’s a thing all gardeners suffer from  Big Grin . 
Thanks for telling me about the size, I guess that the bigger the better Smile

So can you share your polytunnel experience? I'd love to hear about it!
Our good friend veggie has put you on the right track with the link to everyone’s GH & PT growing. I’m not actually doing much with my tunnels this year. Busy trying to build a house   Big Grin . I’d be spending a vast amount of time in the tunnels if I wasn’t building.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
Oh Alisina, you do have the bug if you're thinking of a greenhouse or growing under cover! Smile It would be interesting to see pictures of where you want to place it, and the direction of the sun too.

I have always had a greenhouse, metal framed with glass. When I've considered a new greenhouse/tunnel, I've always preferred a polytunnel, because you get so much more space for your money, but they aren't as pretty as a greenhouse.

I'm definitely going to say you should look for a second hand greenhouse on Farcebook or Fleabay, because they often go for very little or even free for collection. Tunnel frames are often not that expensive and you can get new covers for around £100 last time I looked.

Just remember that if you're about to take down an existing greenhouse, use a marker pen all around extensively to make sure you get the right pieces back together again when you get it home Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Alisina