A Permanent Potato Patch
SarrissUK Offline
I'm tempted with the chinese artichokes - are they similar in flavour to jerusalem artichokes?
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
No idea, Sarriss, sorry. https://backyardlarder.co.uk/plants/chinese-artichoke/

Vinny, are you thinking of Oca, they're crunchy and varicoloured. I used to have a patch of them, next to the Chinese artichokes. Haven't seen them lately!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(26-11-2022, 11:01 PM)Veggie Wrote: No idea, Sarriss, sorry. https://backyardlarder.co.uk/plants/chinese-artichoke/

Vinny, are you thinking of Oca, they're crunchy and varicoloured. I used to have a patch of them, next to the Chinese artichokes. Haven't seen them lately!
Well well,you learn summat new every day! Blush I thought Oca WERE Chinese artichokes.

As CO are a perennial I will have to have a go growing those. Yes it was Oca I had tasted! Smile I'll just toddle off now and do a bit of googling! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I had a bag of Free Spuds Use by 1/12/22) in the fridge - tonight I planned to cook some. However, they've all chitted - so much for keeping spuds cool to keep them fresh!
Anyway, my "chips" have turned into chits and will soon become the new recruits in the Permanent Potato Bed. I'll probably plant some in pots too as they are Gemson, a second early variety, and seem to get good reviews.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
I think cold can actually prompt potatoes to sprout as it breaks their dormancy. Also I find potatoes taste weird if they've been stored in the fridge. The supermarket potatoes always taste rubbish after a certain point in the year, I'm convinced they are storing them too cold.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I've just remembered that I had a 2nd bag of the same potatoes - one was on the veg rack in the cold room, the other in the fridge.
The 2nd bag of spuds has also chitted but they're quite different!. Much shorter chits with a lot more little hairy roots. An unintended experiment. Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
Also humidity can break dormancy, I always open the bag to let them breathe otherwise they get sweaty quickly. And apparently you're not supposed to store them near onions (or anything which releases a lot of ethylene, like bananas etc).
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny