Weeding or Harvesting Fertility?
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks Moth. I'm a fan of Aranya.Smile
I've tried the comfrey in a drain pipe technique previously - forgotten I had until I saw this video. That worked too but only for small quantities of leaves at a time
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've had a thought - about an easier way to make smell-less comfrey feed on a smaller scale than using a water butt, without drilling holes - in fact, using things I have - and you probably do too. Big Grin

I'm going to use 30 litre plant pots - https://www.oaklandgardens.co.uk/heavy-d...5881-p.asp but any big pots of the same size and design would do. They just need to fit inside the other one.

This is the plan :-
Find a tray or container that the pot can stand in.
Put some sticks/stones in the tray to act as pot feet.
Sit one pot on the "feet" so that the liquid can drain out of the pot and into the tray.
Fill pot with comfrey/nettle/ whatever.
Sprinkle with water.
Put second pot on top of weeds and weight it down with a container of water or bag of compost.

Sit back and see what happens.

If it works, I may set up a few of these around the garden near a source of weeds so that I can chuck them straight into the bottom bucket.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, PyreneesPlot

JJB Offline
Moonraker
You'll still have to deal with the smelly resultant liquid oozing into the tray somehow, have you got a plan for getting the juice from the tray? I've got a few lidded buckets (leftover poultry pellets tubs) for weeds around the place and use an old soup ladle to decant the juice to a watering can, only smells when I open them. BTW does the juice go off, I found some really old stuff the other day, shall I use it?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I've been using comfrey tea made in 2020 that didn't get used last year. Still smells potent and is a spectacular deep burgundy colour. Nothing has died yet!!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(04-06-2022, 09:29 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I've been using comfrey tea made in 2020 that didn't get used last year. Still smells potent and is a spectacular deep burgundy colour. Nothing has died yet!!
Thanks PP
I agree, the question was almost rhetorical, it would have got used somewhere, waste not want not Smile the rotting rotting gunk at the bottom will have to go way up the garden and buried in the compost or perhaps as a mulch in an out of the way place.  'I ain't afraid of no smells' to paraphrase Smile
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Music 
(04-06-2022, 09:07 AM)JJB Wrote: You'll still have to deal with the smelly resultant liquid oozing into the tray somehow, have you got a plan for getting the juice from the tray? I've got a few lidded buckets (leftover poultry pellets tubs) for weeds around the place and use an old soup ladle to decant the juice to a watering can, only smells when I open them. BTW does the juice go off, I found some really old stuff the other day, shall I use it?
Yes, I have a plan - it involves delegation.  Rolleyes
Still working on the design at the moment!
Mr Greedy produces plenty of liquid but its not objectionably smelly. This is bottled and used in the GHs. I never feed the courgettes, beans etc because I rarely water them and feeding just doesn't cross my tiny mind. Maybe if I kept some bottled feed down amongst the veg I'd remember!............Plan for today.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(04-06-2022, 10:21 AM)JJB Wrote:
(04-06-2022, 09:29 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I've been using comfrey tea made in 2020 that didn't get used last year. Still smells potent and is a spectacular deep burgundy colour. Nothing has died yet!!
Thanks PP
I agree, the question was almost rhetorical, it would have got used somewhere, waste not want not Smile the rotting rotting gunk at the bottom will have to go way up the garden and buried in the compost or perhaps as a mulch in an out of the way place.  'I ain't afraid of no smells' to paraphrase Smile

Ah, I pour mine off the rotting gunk after about ten days and store it in plastic (5*) wine bottles. Rotting gunk feeds the compost heap Wink

[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Bren Offline
I make my comfrey tea in an old cistern that used to be a pond filter, the comfrey goes into one of those pond planter baskets with all the holes then once its broken down to mush its easy to lift out and tipped into a dalek.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I think I might consign my one year old gunk and mush to the compost and start again, the comfrey is looking just right for harvesting.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Mark_Riga

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(04-06-2022, 07:45 PM)Bren Wrote: I make my comfrey tea in an old cistern that used to be a pond filter, the comfrey goes into one of those pond planter baskets with all the holes then once its broken down to mush its easy to lift out and tipped into a dalek.

Brilliant idea - I have an old pond plant basket too. Sounds much easier than pouring the stinky liquid through a sieve lined with a net curtain which I do at the moment!

[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Bren, JJB