Poll: Never Again Plants
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Bamboo
10.26%
4 10.26%
Petunias
5.13%
2 5.13%
Feverfew
5.13%
2 5.13%
Euphorbia
7.69%
3 7.69%
Periwinkle/Vinca
7.69%
3 7.69%
Kiwi Fruit
10.26%
4 10.26%
Aubergines
10.26%
4 10.26%
Asparagus
2.56%
1 2.56%
Broad beans
7.69%
3 7.69%
Blackberries
2.56%
1 2.56%
Red Samurai carrots
0%
0 0%
Montbretia/Crocosmia
7.69%
3 7.69%
Borage
5.13%
2 5.13%
Lemon Balm
7.69%
3 7.69%
Conifers
10.26%
4 10.26%
Total 39 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Plants I will never grow again
toomanytommytoes Offline
(20-05-2022, 11:34 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I do, have or would try any of those on the list Wink so no vote from me!
Pak choi just bolts - seedling leaves, flower stalk, bam, dead, but giant vegetables of any sort probably top my list.
You need Joi Choi F1 in your life, it's the most bolt resistant pak choi I've grown, doesn't go to seed until mid-May from a February/March sowing. I've just planted some more in the ground to see how quickly they go to seed at this time of year.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Josterberry. Very unpopular with the soft fruit eater in the house. Far to popular with pests.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I might give it a go then, thanks. Although the 36 degrees registered today may defeat it  Sad
(21-05-2022, 10:30 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
(20-05-2022, 11:34 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I do, have or would try any of those on the list Wink so no vote from me!
Pak choi just bolts - seedling leaves, flower stalk, bam, dead, but giant vegetables of any sort probably top my list.
You need Joi Choi F1 in your life, it's the most bolt resistant pak choi I've grown, doesn't go to seed until mid-May from a February/March sowing. I've just planted some more in the ground to see how quickly they go to seed at this time of year.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(21-05-2022, 11:20 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Josterberry. Very unpopular with the soft fruit eater in the house. Far to popular with pests.

Interesting - I have a jostaberry, sold on blackcurrants the size of a gooseberry, and find the size is right but the flavour poor. But the crops were huge so bulked out other soft fruit, and the plant was disease and pest free until the deer stripped the bark last winter Sad

[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I like Jostaberries as a plant but don't always get round to picking them!
I hate Worcesterberries - same cross of blackcurrants and gooseberry but with the prickles, nasty vicious prickles. I'm trying to confine them to the hedge but they seem to seed everywhere far more easily than the Jostaberries - but they're a doddle from cuttings anyway.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

toomanytommytoes Offline
(21-05-2022, 11:23 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I might give it a go then, thanks. Although the 36 degrees registered today may defeat it  Sad
Those plants have only just started to go to seed and formed really nice, big heads. I barely watered them after planting, keeping the soil more moist may have extended their life a bit more.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 6 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, SarrissUK, Small chilli, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(07-07-2022, 05:42 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
(21-05-2022, 11:23 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I might give it a go then, thanks. Although the 36 degrees registered today may defeat it  Sad
Those plants have only just started to go to seed and formed really nice, big heads. I barely watered them after planting, keeping the soil more moist may have extended their life a bit more.

I'm very jealous! But will give it a go next year, thanks  Smile although even reliable brassicas are struggling in the exceptional (I hope) heat this year!

[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
(07-07-2022, 05:42 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Those plants have only just started to go to seed and formed really nice, big heads. I barely watered them after planting, keeping the soil more moist may have extended their life a bit more.

Wow, they look great TMTT!!
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, toomanytommytoes

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Fantastic TMTT, must think about them for next year.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(07-07-2022, 05:42 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
Thanks TMTT 
You just reminded me to sow my choy sum ( purple Choi). Only packet of seeds I’ve got with a July sowing time. So I forget  Blush
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, toomanytommytoes