Two very fine pies Vinny
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(13-05-2022, 08:02 PM)Bren Wrote: Vinny this is the corned beef pie recipe I use

https://www.princes.co.uk/recipes/recipe...-hash-pie/

Says to bake for 45 mins at 170c in a fan oven.
That could be it Bren. Cooked for a longer time at a lower heat!   Blush   I'll try that next time!  Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
If you make your own pastry, use a little less water, only just enough to bring the pastry together, then chilling it for 30 minutes will make it easier to roll out without crumbling.
Try making the base thinner if you can.
Lightly brush the pastry shell with beaten egg white ( not to meringue standard, just till it's foamy). Don't let the egg white "puddle", just paint it on. This will help seal it and prevent gravy or juices soaking in.
You don't say whether or not you cook the filling first. If you do, make sure your filling is cool before putting it in the pastry case.
If you use a baking sheet, put it in the oven when you turn it on, so it's hot to put the pie on.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 5 users Like Moth's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Proserpina, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Plums are cheap just now so will be trying a plum pie having bought two punnets! Smile That will test my soggy bottomness! Big Grin Dunno whether to cook the plums first though as I imagine they will go to mush? Confused Google recipes here I come! Rolleyes
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Are those the plums that feel like cannonballs with a thick skin? I don't think they ever go to mush!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Why would plums be cheap now? Mine have not long since flowering.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
(14-05-2022, 09:53 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Why would plums be cheap now? Mine have not long since flowering.
Wonky plums fro abroad! Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Mark_Riga

SarrissUK Offline
Vinny can I recommend a plum tarte tatin please? This one is absolutely gorgeous, and no soggy bottoms, cause the bottom is the top! Big Grin
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/plum...tart-tatin
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(15-05-2022, 07:57 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: Vinny can I recommend a plum tarte tatin please? This one is absolutely gorgeous, and no soggy bottoms, cause the bottom is the top! Big Grin
Sounds delicious Sariss, might have to try that some afternoon
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.

Vinny Offline
(15-05-2022, 07:57 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: Vinny can I recommend a plum tarte tatin please? This one is absolutely gorgeous, and no soggy bottoms, cause the bottom is the top! Big Grin
This looked gorgeouse Sarris but I still went for the plum pie. Rolleyes I did adopt the marzipan tip though and it turned out very well.Marzipan and plums seems to be a marriage made in heaven. Smile Because I had the oven on I also made a ham,egg and cheese pie as well although the lump of pastry Ihad left was a bid stodgy. I tried Brens methos of cooking pies for longer at a lower heat and it did make a difference. Cool
I have ordred a couple of metal plate oie dishes so will see if that helps in future! Huh

As an aside, what do all you folks do with any left over pastry. I tried freezing it but wasn't impressed and I just wondered if it could be used and cooked somehow along with the pies? Huh

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

• Bren, Can the Man