Cross pollination
Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
I’m hoping to save seeds from some onion shallot zebrune . 
Looks like they’re going to flower at the same time as the ornamental alliums. 
Will the cross? 

Apologies if this is a really dumb question    Blush .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
No idea, but thanks for asking as I'm endlessly confused about what crosses and what doesn't! Sad
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
All I've found so far is:-
Cross pollination does depend on whether the alliums are in the same species or not. Onions and shallots will cross pollinate with each other as they are both in the species Allium cepa, but leeks are of a different species, Allium ampeloprasum, so they should be fine. If your onions and shallots are already flowering, then unfortunately, it is already too late to keep them from crossing. If one or both have not flowered yet, then (unless they're planted at least a mile apart) you have to make a choice about which variety to save seed from, and bag or dispose of the flowers of the other variety. Sorry!
https://hudsonvalleyseed.com/blogs/blog/...ollination
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
Thanks veggie. 
Looks like we’re all good for seed saving  Big Grin . It’s just the one variety zebrune. Don’t know why I wrote it down as an onion & shallot ? Sure that’s what’s on the packet? Anyway it doesn’t matter because I just have the one variety of edible and several varieties of ornamentals about to flower.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The perennial leeks are sending up flower spikes now. Noticed them this week - and I haven't even planted out the seedlings from last year yet!
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Probably not. Shallots and onions will cross as both Allium cepa but leek is Allium ampeloprasum and won't cross with onions. I doubt your ornamentals are the same species as your onions.

https://hudsonvalleyseed.com/blogs/blog/...ollination

I did notice a post from 2013 on another site, started by a guest called veggiechicken, but they have probably forgotten that by now.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
(11-05-2022, 11:02 AM)Veggie Wrote: The perennial leeks are sending up flower spikes now. Noticed them this week - and I haven't even planted out the seedlings from last year yet!
After harvesting one. I repotted them the next day. Poor neglect little things! I couldn’t wait till they’d died back.  They are lovely the extra space & fresher compost. No sign of flowers yet. I was looking at them this morning considering harvesting another one    Smile .
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Somethings are best forgotten, Mark. Smile
However, somewhere I have a note of which alliums are safe to grow together because they won't cross - I've forgotten where I've put the note too. Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Small chilli