What are you planning on saving
Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
Sweet rocket and honesty I am hoping to save. Possibly pansy antique but they are F1 so will be a selection program for the future, that is if I like them.

Yet again I am growing golden sweet and shiraz mangetout so I can create a hybrid (grown the plants before but never got round to crossing them) and hopefully get red mangetout

As for everything else it depends on what grows.
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!
[-] The following 5 users Like Norfolk Grey's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Proserpina, Small chilli, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I'm having another go at leeks - I had one successful year but then I lost all of those plants to leaf miner.
Otherwise the usual suspects, cosmos, sweet peas, dill, zinnia, honesty.
I have white and purple honesty - will they cross?
I might try tomatoes for the first time, if we like any from the Kokopelli mixes, especially if they don't cross,
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Proserpina, Small chilli, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
Thank you Veggie - I didn't know tomatoes don't cross! I've read that guide before, and as most of the veggies in that guide do cross, I must've not realised that tomatoes are not one of them! That's very good news - I'll save more tomato seeds now Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
There are exceptions to the "tomatoes don't cross" rule so its not 100% but most toms are OK.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(02-05-2022, 06:03 PM)Proserpina Wrote: ... I'd like to save some beans, but I'm growing quite a few varieties, so it may be hard to keep them separated.

French beans don't tend to cross. I've been saving 3 different one for years without problems. Runner beans do cross though.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Small chilli, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I'll be saving peas, french beans and broad beans as usual, tomatoes chillis and probably leeks (there are a few big ones now developing flower stems).. I've got seeds of onions, capsicums and a butternut from last year that should still be OK next.
Also though not seeds, potatoes and garlic. I always save the biggest garlic bulbs for resowing.

I'll also save some sweetpea this year if I can persuade Chris not to deadhead so thoroughly.
[-] The following 6 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Proserpina, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie