Pot sizes?
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
As you are all really board of hearing about  Blush . I’m growing lot of things in pot ready for my new garden. When can I stop potting on? I know it depends a lot on the type of plant. But can I keep them in smaller pots or is it going to stunt them when they actually go into the ground? 
Advice please
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
For perennial stuff, I'd keep potting them on when they really need it, i.e. before they're root bound. The annual stuff is much less important, I think. I've had tomatoes from plants that should've been in much bigger pots for example.
Perennial stuff are more long term and therefore more valuable to keep potted on.
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I usually look for roots coming out of the bottom of the pot as a sign that it needs potting on. No roots = Do nothing.
Not sure that answers your question though.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
If you don't pot on ,when the weather is hot you have to water more than once a day especially if they are needing to be potted up. I can often lose stuff because of this.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I woud always use a John Innes type loam based compost as well as it is heavier (pots don't blow over) and it holds moisture and nutrients better. Aaprt form that I agree with veggie about the roots showing through drainage holes. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Looks like I’ll be potting on for the foreseeable future. And probably need a digger when it comes to planting time  Rolleyes .

Luckily no annuals. I won’t be getting on a ferry for John innes or anybody else  Wink .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
If the daffs are in pots, you could let them die back naturally, Then dry the bulbs out and replant in your new garden when you're ready.

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-04-2022, 10:54 PM)Scarlet Wrote: If you don't pot on ,when the weather is hot you have to water more than once a day especially if they are needing to be potted up. I can often lose stuff because of this.
If it ever gets  too hot, stand the pots in a big tray and water into the tray. I do that a lot - not because its too hot but because I'm lazy. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(29-04-2022, 11:17 AM)Veggie Wrote:
(28-04-2022, 10:54 PM)Scarlet Wrote: If you don't pot on ,when the weather is hot you have to water more than once a day especially if they are needing to be potted up. I can often lose stuff because of this.
If it ever gets  too hot, stand the pots in a big tray and water into the tray. I do that a lot - not because its too hot but because I'm lazy. Big Grin
I use lots of trays.... but it's a chore if you haven't got enough and constantly putting them in and out.  I'm thinking that SC will be having quite a few? It's definitely a big chore for me and quite time consuming if you have to carry the water.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

MartinH Offline
When there's roots showing out of the holes, I take the plant out of the pot and have a look. If there's more root than compost visible, pot on. If there's more compost than root, leave for a bit.

I stop potting on when I can plant in the ground, or when it's big enough and I don't want it to grow much more, or when I run out of pots.
[-] The following 5 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Proserpina, Small chilli, Veggie