Part-time Self Sufficiency
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-04-2022, 12:15 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(28-04-2022, 10:27 AM)Scarlet Wrote: I love masterchef.... but was really annoyed recently when a young Polish woman said that she loved London as she could get what she wanted all year round as in Poland you could only buy what was in season.
We should be more like Poland!
I haven't eaten a fresh tomato for some time.... can't wait to pick the first one.

I am SS in tomatoes. When fresh isn't available I will only eat the frozen ones. The same for beans - dried if fresh isn't available.
Garlic - I use elephant garlic mostly as that is what I can grow.
I will only eat the herbs that I can grow - rosemary in the winter, chives and onions in pots. Mints now.
I won't buy kale or chard. Same as PP really. I will go without and eat something I do have.... or pick elsewhere. Had some lovely wild garlic this month.
Blackcurrants - spares are made into jam or frozen. I wouldn't buy them.
I can never grow enough lettuce - I need some tips from Bren.
I would love to be able to grow enough beetroot for the whole year but hardly managed to get any due to rodent issue.
Glad you mentioned Elephant garlic Scarlet. Cool I have been building up stock from the original, incredibaly expensive three cloves I bought about three years ago. By keeping half for eating and half for planting each year, I now have enough growing that should make me self sufficient once its harvested. I love it's mild flavour and actually prefer it to traditional garlic, of which I have loads. Big Grin
I prefer it to to the traditional stuff too.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
Oooo I am self sufficient in courgettes, beans and rhubarb (as I refuse to buy them even if I haven't grown them). Does that count or am I cheating Smile
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!
[-] The following 3 users Like Norfolk Grey's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I forgot Elephant garlic too - and the Babington leeks. I have clumps of both scattered throughout the garden - always there when I need an allium fix.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Norfolk Grey

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(28-04-2022, 12:36 PM)Norfolk Grey Wrote: Oooo I am self sufficient in courgettes, beans and rhubarb (as I refuse to buy them even if I haven't grown them). Does that count or am I cheating Smile
That 100% counts. 
It looks like all of us eat seasonally from our gardens and won't buy the things out of season that we grow in season..............if that makes sense?  Huh
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I forgot about the Kintsai celery leaves I grow. Its a short lived perennial (second year now) and even a few leaves can impart that celery flavour to soups and stews. Much easier to grow than all the other celery varients and looks after itself! Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-04-2022, 01:01 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(28-04-2022, 12:36 PM)Norfolk Grey Wrote: Oooo I am self sufficient in courgettes, beans and rhubarb (as I refuse to buy them even if I haven't grown them). Does that count or am I cheating Smile
That 100% counts. 
It looks like all of us eat seasonally from our gardens and won't buy the things out of season that we grow in season..............if that makes sense?  Huh
Yes, it does. I think people who grow food are not so fussy on the ingredients they think they need to make a meal either? Happy to use an alternative as that's what they have in their " kitchen garden"
[-] The following 6 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
SS in apples, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries. Chard/spinach, winter squash, beans, beetroot, sweetcorn, onions, garlic and hopefully in the coming year MT.
I do buy tomatoes and cucs when I've not got any though and the very occasional courgette.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Proserpina, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-04-2022, 04:32 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(28-04-2022, 01:01 PM)Veggie Wrote:
That 100% counts. 
Yes, it does. I think people who grow food are not so fussy on the ingredients they think they need to make a meal either? Happy to use an alternative as that's what they have in their " kitchen garden"
That made me chuckle Scarlet  Big Grin . Because I’ve been known to substitute ingredients with things that are merely a similar shape or  same colour    Blush . 
my best substitute to date was cumin seeds instead of fennel seeds.  Big Grin . It actually worked really well.  More recently finally chopped french beans instead of peas. Actually I do that quite often. 

when I was writing my list I thought I sounded quite unhealthy by not buying vegetables. Turns out we all sound unhealthy and or tight as a ducks bottom    Wink . But what we actually are is eco warrior, gardening gods and that’s  awesome. I’m very proud to be a part of it   Cool .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 6 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Proserpina, SarrissUK, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I agree, SC. If a recipe needs an onion - you can use a leek, elephant garlic, spring onion and so on.
If its says cabbage, use kale, cauli leaves, broccoli etc.
Any fruit can be substituted for another one.
Any bean or pea or pod for another..
Any salad leaf will do in a sandwich or on the side of plate.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Proserpina, Scarlet, Small chilli

SarrissUK Offline
(28-04-2022, 09:13 PM)Veggie Wrote: I agree, SC. If a recipe needs an onion - you can use a leek, elephant garlic, spring onion and so on.
If its says cabbage, use kale, cauli leaves, broccoli etc.
Any fruit can be substituted for another one.
Any bean or pea or pod for another..
Any salad leaf will do in a sandwich or on the side of plate.

This... this is what blows Jay's mind. Not that he follows recipes (he doesn't need recipes for beans on toast), but it blows his mind that I chuck in a bit of this, and a bit of that.
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Veggie