Recycled water feature?
Jimny14 Offline
I have been wanting to add some water for increased biodiversity to our garden for a while but have been wary of open water due to small children concerns. 
I have recently had a thought due to some recycling opertunities coming along. 
I have a broken recycling box which is split down one corner and not useful as a recycling box any more. Also due to some recent house refurbishment and some hard landscaping I have some thick black plastic to use and a large quantity of rocks and stones of differing sizes. 
My thoughts are could I effectively make a submerged sump with the box and plastic, fill it with stones then fill with water? 
Could it be useful as a source of drinking water for birds, insects etc? Would it be useful at all and if so how?
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
We did something similar years ago. with a big tub that we sank in a corner bed on the patio. Put a wire grid over the top of the tub and covered it with pebbles. At that time, we could run the bubble fountain in the pump on mains electricity. Later used a solar pump which was less controllable.
Not sure that birds ever used it but the bubbling water sounds were very relaxing and it looked nice running over the pebbles.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14, JJB