Compost accelerator
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I think it's generally known that urine is a good compost accelerator,  but how much and how often?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I thought it was just good for keeping mice and rats away
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.

JJB Offline
Moonraker
That doesn't work.
Greetings from Salisbury

Spec Offline
I know this is an old thread, but my advice on using urine as a compost accelerator is to use neat when the compost pile is quite damp, also if it's a wet compost pile, mix in some scrunched up newspaper or shredded cardboard/paper along with neat urine, on a slightly damp to dry pile add 50/50 urine to water, how often you use it depends on how active ie. heat generating your compost pile is, if you think it is starting to smell mix in cardboard/newspaper and wet with water
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • JJB

Spec Offline
If adding shredded printer paper to a compost heap I would recommend that you scatter it in small amounts into your compost if it is added quite thickly it will take a long time to break down, if you have a fair amount to add steep it in a drum of water for 2 or 3 weeks also giving it a stir occasionally and again try not to have it too thick
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Thank you Spec. My compost gets 'accelerated' randomly but regularly. I'm sure the neighbours may have caught a glimpse of my behind on occasions when I couldn't be bothered to traipse indoors in muddy boots. Luckily the compost heaps are way up the top of the garden away from most human habitation.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man