People that have already sown beans?
Bren Offline
Not sown any yet I usually leave them until the first week in May.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I've read, somewhere, that Runner beans are more sensitive to weather than French beans. Actually, Runners are more demanding in lots of ways - flowers need fertilisation and they cross with other beans. Need warmer nights.....I prefer to eat CFBs too - not as coarse skinned as RBs - which are probably better for drying.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I find if I start too early they get to leggy in the GH . So I don't start any outdoor beans until the first week of May? Chit in tubs and pot on, usually plant out 3rd week of May.... they don't like cold winds
[-] The following 6 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I planted my beans about 20th April. 3 lots in seed trays. Soissons, climbing french for drying, 30 in tray, Dwarf french for drying 2 trays, probably 60 in each and a round podded french for eating fresh/freezing about 60 in one tray.

Not sure I'll keep growing the climbing one as it is a lot more work, though the yield is higher for the land. Also, they mature a lot later than the dwarf ones. Then in the kitchen, they tend to need a bit longer cooking to soften up.

The benefits of growing for drying are: cheap to store and a good source of protein. Also once you have found ones you like, you just need to keep back as many seeds as you want the following year so never need to buy them again.
[-] The following 7 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, Garrett, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I planted some DFB seeds in modules yesterday they were a bit out of date but worth taking a punt. Sat them on moist compost the covered with some loose compost to prevent them drying out.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Broadway, Garrett, JJB

SarrissUK Offline
I love beans but I haven't sowed many yet, and the ones I did haven't made an appearence yet. I can't wait to direct sow Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Garrett, JJB

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Started hardening off my first batch of slenderette & roquencourt today.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man